Contacts / Forgot Password

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Usually, if you forget your password, you should be able to retrieve it through the forum's "forgot password" feature, and any problems with that are most likely related to the automated email going into a spam filter or someone forgetting which email address they used when registering with the forum.

When there are troubles, the problem is usually passed on to me through a third party, and that can be uncomfortable because I don't want to inadvertently get caught up in something that results in someone else gaining access to your account, so I would rather hear from you directly.

My email address is easy to remember if you can remember my name because it is kenanderson@kenanderson.net. Please use a subject line that includes "Seniors Only Club" so that I can easily differentiate it from 99% of email, which is spam. When I check my email, I usually toggle "select all" and then quickly browse through the subject lines and from fields to uncheck those that seem to be genuine, bulk deleting the remainder.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Bonnie Thomas and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Also, please don't be shy about contacting me by email if you have any problems other than passwords, or if you have any questions or concerns. You can also do that through private conversations here. Please be aware, however, that unlike some other forums, I cannot and do not read your private conversations, so when rumors or other concerns are circulated through private conversations, I can't respond to them unless you ask me about it, and I would prefer you do that privately so as not to extend the drama.

Some of us are able to simply let it go if we get angry about something, but others feel the need to be destructive and, in forums, this is often done through private conversations, known as private messages in other types of forum software. That is why some forum software allows administrators to read private messages, and some administrators will modify the software so as to be able to do that. I do not read your private messages, and have no intention of adding that capability.

As is the case in real life whisper campaigns, they can be destructive in that the target is left out of the loop. Thank you for including me in the loop, and allowing me to answer your concerns. As is also the case in most whisper campaigns, there isn't much of anything going on here that you don't know about. In the rare occasion that I feel the need to ban someone, I don't post it publicly in the forum, as that wouldn't be fair to the person being banned, and would serve no good purpose for anyone here, and I don't know of any well-managed forum whose administrators make these things public.

This is a discussion forum, and it is valuable only insofar as you might enjoy discussing topics with other people. I am operating the forum for the same reasons that you participate in it -- because I enjoy the same conversations. It is not a business, but neither is it a public forum that everyone has a right to. It is a membership forum, and membership is free and open to anyone who wants to carry on a friendly discussion, without a lot of drama or petty divisiveness. Given that the forum is open to people fifty years old or older, my assumption is that we are all adults here, and that is one of the reasons why I have elected not to include a lengthy set of rules that I don't want to write and no one wants to read, anyhow. Only three people, as of today, have been banned from the forum in the more than a year and a half that we've been in operation, and one of them was banned because it became clear that she wasn't nearly fifty, which is a requirement for participation in the forum, and one of these was only banned for a month.

Contrary to the whisper campaign, I don't care what opinion you hold on any issue whatsoever, so long as you are not working against the interests of carrying on a friendly discussion, by attacking those who disagree with you rather than discussing the issues or applying pejorative labels to those who disagree with you. Even then, you are unlikely to be banned if you have otherwise contributed to the goals of the forum. Whisper campaigns are an attack against the forum, however, and an affront to common decency.

Rather than participating in whisper campaigns or wondering whether there is any truth to them, ask me privately, either by personal conversation or by email. My email is kenanderson@kenanderson.net.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

If you have invited someone to the forum, and they do not receive a validation email, please have them contact me at kenanderson@kenanderson.net and I can validate it for them. Most people are able to register for an account and validate their email automatically but some people aren't getting these emails, or they are being diverted to their spam filter.

Usually, I go through the member list and do this every week or so but with the thyroid operation, I hadn't done so for a couple of weeks, and there were about twenty-five that hadn't been validated. I have validated their emails manually and have written them. But, since I am here nearly every day, and check my email at least as often, I can take care of it pretty quickly if someone simply emails me.

Joe Riley likes this.