Conquering Your Fears

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Sir Walter Pasty, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

If you could conquer one fear, it would be...?

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

...the fear of getting seriously ill too soon.

Sir Walter Pasty likes this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Public speaking.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The fear of being old & sick and left in the hands of underpaid ''carers'...

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The fear of getting something terminal like cancer.

Actually any serious illness or going blind.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only fears that I have are those which are more instinctual rather than the “shaking in one’s boots” type of fears so I am in no hurry to lose them.
    Perhaps I get a tad more cautious as time goes by but beyond that I have no fears which can be deemed as superfluous.
    Of course, that could change but for now it looks like the events of today will offer nothing to be afraid of and in particular no fears which I might wish to conquer. If something happens, I am prepared for it and if perchance there is some fear involved, the short lived angst will probably be for the better.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not being able to leave Florida and get back to Colorado. That's why it's darn near a MUST that we leave here next year.

Sir Walter Pasty and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Would that not be akin to placating your fear rather than conquering it?
    If a person fell off of a horse and had an unusual amount of fear about getting back on but did it anyway, that person would be conquering his or her fear.

Now, in your case, you’re afraid of not going to Colorado so in order to conquer that fear you either stop fearing that prospect and defiantly stay where you presently are until the fear subsides and then move or fearlessly say ”damn the torpedos, it’s full speed ahead”! :)

Sir Walter Pasty and Lulu Moppet like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well...…...just made a call and got a quote on transporting our boat there in mid-May. Guess that a good start in "damn the torpedo's, it's full speed ahead" thing. My wife knows she will be loosing her job in the beginning of next summer. The company is leaving Jacksonville. Hummmm, wonder if they are leaving for the same reason we are? LOL

Sir Walter Pasty and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Every since my daughter died in a car wreck, my biggest fear is that my sons or grandchildren will die in an accident. I don't suppose there is any way to conquer that fear. I don't know of anything that I fear for myself.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I also worry about my kids and grandkids ....I actually track their flight when they're going somewhere.

My daughter and family just went to Maui on Saturday and I was tracking the flight on the map and at one point the plane looked like it turned full circle slowly but what scared me was that the speed went from about 435 kts to about 200!

That scared me and I was almost in tears.

Maybe it's normal but Ive never felt a plane slow down that much when it's about half way into the flight and at top cruising altitude.

Ive talked to my daughter since they got there and she didn't say anything about the flight so either that's normal or a glitch on the tracking map.

But I felt sick at that moment....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I fear nothing.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’m not trying to be the devil’s advocate but would not your present living condition be in part and parcel a way to conquer the fear of being / living alone?
    If there were no reason to move to an assisted living home you would not have done it so therefore you conquered your fears of impending danger or being alone by moving.

The, “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” type of thing is a definite and real age related syndrome because it’s the antithesis of one’s emotional well being.
    Anything can happen and when it does the worse thing and place a person can find themselves is somewhere that is void of any prospect of assistance.

Nothing wrong with fear, it’s how we work to conquer it that get’s interesting and let’s face it, some fears are definitely for the better.
    Everyone has fears but “courage is knowing what Not to fear”. Plato...