Congress Just Passed Hr1808 Banning 'assault' Rifles.

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Mary Stetler, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

First off, they don't even know what an assault rifle is. They are banning the most popular rifle int the United States. One of my Senators is very anti gun and when I write to her, she sends me back form letters that , I think, she digs out of the trash with nothing about my letter in them. My other Senator is up for re-election and with all the shootings, how should he vote.
    Get everyone you know to write their senators. A new law will not be obeyed by those who wish to do harm and it will make everyone who has this rifle a criminal if they want to keep theirs.
    The answer is not to take away multi millions of guns from the law abiding, it is to catch and prosecute those who shoot people indescriminately, which the government has not done, to the fullest extent of the present laws.
    Their agenda is to gut the 2nd amendment not to save citizens.

Tony Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought it just passed the house but still has to go to the senate?

Tony Page likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Gee, legally making felons (who lose their right to vote) out of those who oppose your agenda is the clean way to win elections.

4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A quick internet search showed a little over 45,000 people died in 2020 from guns, in the usa.

Meanwhile, almost or more than that many die EVERY DAY from pollution= 364 times as many as die from guns. ( 14,600,000 per year)

So what agenda is able to make a dent in the death rate ?

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

That is right. I can't edit the title. It passed the house. Write your Senators.

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They want to ban assault WEAPONS, not assault RIFLES. Assault weapons have no definition, so they can make them whatever they want them to be, but assault rifles are defined by the gun folks as the rifles that have the ability to fire fully automatic--already illegal unless you have the permit to purchase. The proposed bill would outlaw the same weapons that were outlawed by the Clinton administration. They are in common use here as a hunting weapon and are seldom used in crime, but a few nuts have used them in shooting in gun-free areas so the Dems feel that gives them the right to outlaw them. Writing to my senators wouldn't do much good. I doubt Sullivan will vote for the bill, but Murkowski doesn't listen to any constituents.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I knew that once the liberals in Canada banned the AR-15 and all 45 or so similar weapons that our Democrat dominated House would be soon to follow.
    Right now the Canadian lawmakers are trying to plan and initiate a buy-back program which is probably very similar to Australia’s past program for the removal of nearly if not all firearms from the country.

Essentially, the paradigm set up by Australia and now Canada is meat for our own liberal agendas to disarm we the people.
    If the U.S. Senate approves the legislation then Congress will have created an oxymoron in that we already know that criminals will not only keep what weapons they have but will reach out to buy even more of them whether they are AR-15’s or whatever firearm.
    We also know that many normally law abiding citizens will not turn in their weapons for fear of leaving their homes defenseless and of course out of defiance for an unjust law which, in the end will Make them criminals.

It’s funny but not ha-ha funny to think about the fact that there are some in high positions who are emptying their prisons and jails of known serious felons whilst creating laws that will overfill those same prisons and jails with people who were heretofore honest citizens.

8. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I grew up in a rural mountainous area. Big Game hunting was a fall tradition. My first rifle was a 30 30 lever action, then I got a 30 06 bolt action. The meme was that if ya can't bring down yr target in the first 2-3 shots, ya better practice more until ya can.
    I shudder to think about two or three idiots blasting away into a herd of animals with military rifles. How many wounded animals? Another thought: The idea back then was to hit the animal in the rib cage so as not to spoil the meat elsewhere. I shudder to think of an elk with a dozen bullet holes.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh yeah, I might add. If we're evolving into a country where we assault rifles to protect our homes, I'm glad that I'm living in what will most likely be my last decade.

10. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How about just giving the ELK a jab ? one tiny hole, and an animal whose meat would not be safe to consume, but the antlers could still look great over the mantle ? As for me, in comparison, I shudder in great sorrow at the 64 jab holes , and circulating in the blood toxins, give or take, in little children by law .... when parents don't know how to avoid the toxins.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Gun rights are not about hunting.

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

True hunters strive to put the animals down quickly as possible and go after their wounded. They do not use automatic weapons to shoot indescriminately. If they do, they are idiots and should not be hunting. Even VP Cheney should not have been hunting. I think other hunters would comment about the idiots to the DNR.
    I have seen more lasting painful injuries by deer being hit by cars.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In northwest Alaska, state residents are allowed 10 caribou a year. Native hunters often use the AR-15 to get their season's meat in one trip. They abuse things once in a while, but generally they are hunting for their winter's food. If you have ever hunted caribou, the problem is finding the herd. Once you locate the herd, collecting animals is generally not an issue. When you find the herd, you kill as many as you legally can for your winter's supply.

I agree with @Ken Anderson that the second amendment is not about hunting, but the native hunters have been surviving on caribou and salmon for millennia.

Hoot Crawford and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I bet the cartel Obama-Biden and Holder gave all that money and weapons too will be mad.:rolleyes:.Par for the course.
    I left discussion sites till I could reign in my politicking but its just so much going on the temptation is hard to resist. So back to peeving people off and not even trying.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Registered

Do you really think the cartel will pay attention to any of our laws?

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.