Compliments To The Chef

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, May 29, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

A Birthday Cake

I have just worked my way through another birthday. My wife asked me a few days before hand what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday and I told her a coconut. But later when she was checking her pantry to see what she might need to accomplish such a feat, I told her not to bake any cake, I didn’t need it. She knows I’ve been dieting, counting calories, and stepping on the scales every morning, so she readily put aside the idea of baking.

Over the past few months I have managed to lose a few pounds by backing away from the table and eating smaller portions. My daughter, grandson, Daniel, and his family were driving to Oklahoma for the occasion of my birthday which would also allow them to visit with Bruce and his family.

Daniel is fond of Sarafina, my Italian daughter in law. Serafina is a good cook and sets a fine table whenever she prepares a meal. Daniel enjoys her cooking and conversation. Daniel himself is a good cook and enjoys cooking. Daniel and Sarafina always have much in common to discuss. Now to get to the point of this writ. Daniel called from Austin telling Ann, 'he was baking a coconut cake for me' and the missus telling Daniel, “I was going to bake him a cake but he didn’t want one and you shouldn’t bake one either.” Daniel said he was baking a cake for me.

Now with some of the family driving from Austin, which is a far piece if you’re walking the dog, and two very good cooks present it appeared the occasion and the weekend would make for an eating orgy. I thought I would lower my guard this once for this good occasion. And I did a little, until they sat Daniel’s cake on the table. I was going to make nice and sample a small piece. I did sample a piece and all my defenses dropped. I had to try another sample. It was in one of those 9X13 inch pans and the enclosed cake was about that size. It was well covered with fresh coconut and coconut milk had been infused throughout the cake, making it a bit sweeter and moist and a great deal more Moorish (short for I want some more), making me think, ‘It’s all mine; you guys keep your hands off my cake.’ It was the best coconut cake I have ever eaten, bar none.

Of course it was good and fun to see all of them. Beth and Daniel have a girl child about as smart as they come. I’m sure Denise, Daniel and Beth and Audry Elizabeth enjoyed their visit here. I did, too. But I won’t remember their visit for the fun or the conversation or the good food in general. I will remember this visit because of that coconut cake Daniel baked and brought here from Austin. It was a fine cake. It reminded me of my daddy who used to sell produce off a truck in a public square. He’d offer a sample of fresh cantaloupe to a potential customer, saying, “Ain’t that fine.” That’s the best compliment I could pay my dad, hearing him say that, in memory.

The best compliment I know how to pay Daniel for the cake he made me, “Daniel, ain't that fine?”

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ain't That fine!

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

You're a wizard, Joe.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Great story Bill....sounds like you had a wonderful family time on your birthday...and the icing on the cake too... :D

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If you can't have cake on your birthday, what's living for? :D That one sounds splendiferuious .

Happy birthday, Bill!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Ohhhh, I love a good coconut cake!!! It is my favorite, and I like it even more than chocolate. How sweet of your relative to make it for you too. My dad's birthday is June 14, however, I don't think I will make it up there to celebrate. When I am available to we usually make a combination birthday, Father's day celebration where someone makes a killer cake. His very favorite is a chocolate brownie nut concoction with cream between the layers. Sadly, I think it is about 1,000 calories per slice.

Bill Boggs likes this.