Compared To 20 Years Ago, Do You Take Action To Improve Your Health?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Susan Long, May 9, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

What specific actions have you taken? I'll share the changes I have made later.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We went back to whole, natural foods as much as possible. Butter instead of margarine, lard or oil instead of Crisco, fresh foods rather than processed, etc. We never did use artificial sweeteners of any kind.

We read and understand food labels.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always taken an interest in nutrition, but I take more care now to have a balanced diet that provides all the necessary nutrients and try to avoid anything that is just full of empty calories. I also know the importance of daily exercise and I feel bad on days when I don't do enough.

I take a lot of notice of health issues and reasons why so many people develop serious conditions due to smoking, drinking, poor diet, lack of exercise etc.

I don't want to live forever but I do want to stay in good health for as long as possible.

4. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish i had known the things I know now back when I was younger. I always tried to remain active and to work out. Then somewhere in about 2007 or 2008 things started to fall apart eating wise, we started to eat out more often because I worked a lot. I regret that I got away from cooking my own foods because I do think my over all health suffered as a result. I seldom was able to work out, at best I might get a walk in now and then.

The biggest change I have made is that I cook more of my own foods. i do not buy prepared foods of any type and avoid anything but the most basic whole foods. i have noticed a difference in my energy levels and I do not seem to get sick. One thing that i did notice when we were eating out was that I could not tolerate the cold, that seems to have become much better now. i have felt that eating the processed commercial food caused some problems with my thyroid. Of course it could be age, but I have noticed that I am no where near as incapacitated as I was before. I really do think that some of the chemicals and additives are what did that.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

6 years ago I had a list of ailments longer than your arm. I did research on health and started taking supplements and now I am symptom free and 70 pounds lighter I also have helped many people get off their medications with supplements. I now feel better than I have for most of my life.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I, too, like everyone else have made a change in my diet. I eat at home almost exclusively. We prepared most meats on the grill, with little to no salt, just other seasonings. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. No fried foods. We stay away from packaged foods as much as possible.

Another think I do, although not a change, is exercise. I think it's so important to keep moving as we get older - whether you walk, bike, hike, do aerobics, use a treadmill, play sports - it doesn't matter as long as you keep moving. Also, some sort of weight bearing exercises are important as well as exercises for your core. As we get older, our balance is affected and a strong core will keep you centered and steady.

7. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

To be very honest, my answer is absolutely nothing. I have always taken long walks for exercise and usually eat my own cooking which is not always that healthy, but it is better than junk food. And I am still in good health. I guess I just don't worry about things and that keeps me on the good side of health.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been pretty health conscious for at least 35 years so not much has changed for me in twenty years. I still try to get some exercise everyday of some kind. I cook 99% of our meals at home, and freeze several different kinds of meals. I haven’t bought bread, except an occasional bag of hamburger buns. I usually make breads of all kinds and shapes to freeze. I don’t remember the last time I ate at fast food places. The only thing that I can think of that has changed in the last 20 years is that I don’t can foods anymore.

Hedi Mitchell and Janine Coral like this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I am 80 and learned a lot about being healthy to a point of helping many in regaining their heal. I am pain free taking no meds and teaching others how to do the same. The lies we are now finding out about what the medical system has told us is now being reveled. The multi trillion dollar business being exposed for fraud.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I look at 20 years ago, I was doing little about my health other than basic doctor appointments, etc. I’m not great about it now but at least have started back. I’m going VERY slowly and gently. Once I resume a full workout, I will post up my routine, see how I’m doing compared to others. I’m 75 FWIW.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Compared to 20 years ago, yes I have made changes. Back then I was working full time at a desk job and had 5 kids in high school/college, so I didn't give a lot of thought to my health but I've always been fairly healthy. When I took early retirement and the kids all flew the coop, I had more time to dedicate to walking and exercise which I try to do every day.

I'm a believer in "everything in moderation" so I don't freak out over occasional french fries or a hot dog or whatever. Nobody gets out alive so enjoy yourself a little. Have a cookie and relax.

12. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

*I agree Beth Gallagher, moderation in everything is key.

13. Janine Coral

Registered

* that is great you are starting back slowly and gently, I will be interested in seeing your
    full workout, once you have resumed it..

14. Janine Coral

Registered

I love to walk outdoors and tend to be more in motion come Spring and Summer.
    One of the reasons I go to the gym during winter months. I though have not been
    at all steady or consistent as I was say about 5 years ago. At the gym these days
    I want to be on the treadmill, and at least doing 30 minutes, nice and easy due to
    my knees and hips. I then do stretches and light weight baring for only 10 min, then
    I am a bit tired. Along with that, I do one elliptical and in ways I prefer that over the
    treadmill at times. So for me, slow and easy also...

think my post is on the wrong thread, meant in for the other health topic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

20 years ago I landed on a tropical island after sailing around for six years. This is what I call home now. Landed in paradise and did not leave.