Commercials

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

One if my biggest pet peeves is commercials. Regardless of what they are about.I mute them all.The mute button is my friend.
    I have counted as many as 16 between tv shows...and even the news. Most irritating is when the station just had 8 but now there is another station break with as many as ten. Basically only watch news on regular tv , most ones I see are when trying to watch the news. I have never bought anything due to a commercial.
    You cant go or do or see anything anymore that someone isnt trying to sell you something. :(

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Everything we watch is recorded, except the news - so, we just run on the ads - bliss :cool:

Harry Havens likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm pretty good at tuning things out but like Patsy, I watch mostly recorded shows. I couldn't even tell you what commercials are on these days.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's one thing I don't miss about network television. The selling point for cable television in the beginning was that it was ad-free, then they started running ads on cable TV. I wonder how long it will be before we won't be able to find a streaming channel that doesn't have ads.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Well like I said happens for me during the news even early of morning. I watch Netflix...Hulu ect. But hubby is always channel surfing so here comes the commericals. Once he heals up and back to work will be watching my ad free shows.:)

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Fortunately we have 2 main channels which don't have commercials at all... BBC1 and BBC 2 ...all the rest, the whole over 600 channels that we do have are commercially run ...and so like others I record everything I watch and just fast forward through the ads...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

TV Broadcasting has become a "Commercial Delivery System". Most people on TV are selling something. If not a product, then they are selling themselves!

Hedi Mitchell and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I do think commercial breaks are getting longer and longer. I have my TV on a lot and commercials are ridiculous. I don't think anything advertised piques my interest to buy. And all those dollars spent.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband told me, that when he was in basic training for the Marines, he was station at Camp Pendleton, (sp), and there they had a channel just for commercials. Back then I thought he was pulling my chain. But nope!!! Today, they are there for all to see. :(

My pet peeve concerns the overly loud commercials. I sometimes have to turn the volume up pretty high when, for whatever the reason, the station is prodcasting at a low volume, and then all of the sudden, a commercial is blaring at me. :mad:

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

IMO, among the worst:
    Commercials paid by legal firms claiming I may be "entitled to compensation".

Commercials proclaiming the need for this or that drug or medication.

Any attempting to convince me I absolutely must have the product.

Frank

Ina I. Wonder and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife hate commercials, but I always tell her "if it weren't for commercials, you wouldn't have any tv shows". Commercials pay for them. She will also switch from one channel to another to avoid commercials. We watch quite a bit of tv and quite a number of dvd movies we have or rent.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I think you nailed it. These are the worst. The drug commercials are infuriating. Often making people feel like no one will want to be around you with your psoriasis if you don't take this drug and suppress your immune system. I understand people may need drugs if their symptoms make them miserable but some of these advertisements also prey on insecurities.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , granted what you say is true- but still no need for 16 commercials- in some cases, then 5 minutes later have 8 !
    Plus, the type of commercials are also very irritating. The meds, the life insurance, ambulance chasing attorneys etc. Last year on the Doctors program, they even hate them, because it causing the doctors problems with patients. People see this stuff, then go to their doctor wanting to change meds. But many do not have enough data for a doctor to relay on in order to prescribe. Then there are the risks.
    Occasionally, there are some that are just down right cute, and quick...those I will listen to. Ever notice of the years how ads on tv have changed?
    There was an ad on tv my dad loved...lol think it was selling gravy train dog food. A itty bitty covered wagon would come out of nowhere running around a bowl of doggie food. I like KERA tv because they have all their commercials before or after the program...and theirs are better:)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okay oldsters! Do ya remember this commercial?

Yeah, those were the days when ya kinda had to guess what something did because as a youngster, who the heck knew what the word “constipation” meant?
    Well, Milk of Magnesia has now withdrawn the word constipation and now their ads are quite different from yesteryear leaving no doubt what their product does. I installed the ad (a picture not the video) as a thumbnail because I want ya to look at the old ad first.
    75434C21-5420-4B15-8B6F-CF144F4B3A09.jpeg