Colorado Trail Runner Choked Mountain Lion To Death

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Thomas Stearn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Colorado can be dangerous, but not because of mountain lions. However, the Park was closed due to sightings of mountain lions. Anyway, much more dangerous, due to crime, in some parts of Denver metro.
    Anyway, we have never walked thru a woods or on a trail. My artificial hip couldn't take that kind of walking. Here a person has to worry about hurricane/tropical storm season, which includes flooding. We got hit by Irma last year and it really done some damage. Then, Mathew done it's own damage to the coastal areas.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You didn't get any damage to your home tho' did you Cody?

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

"Home", meaning apartment? None, but a few trees uprooted around the area and power lost for a couple of days. A lot of small branches cluttered the drive. We live in a No Evacuation Zone, so we stayed thru the whole thing. Lots, and I do mean lots, of wind and rain, or as some folks here say……."Welcome to Florida!"

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

It's amazing he was able to kill it without any weapon.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

We don't get storms like some parts of the USA..but we certainly get storms which uproots trees, and blow vehicles over.

In Spain my house had the roof torn off in a tornado... I was home at the time, I've never been so scared!!

7. Thomas Stearn

Registered

You're certainly right, @Cody Fousnaugh there are other risks as well. It just reminded me of three things: a) because I'd read about your plans of resettling in C. or a neighboring state, b) of an incident in our local zoo when a cougar killed a keeper by biting her in the neck because she'd forgotten to close a hatch, and c) because I've been a trail runner throughout my life and would have been pretty scared if he'd attacked me. I guess I wouldn't have cut a fine figure facing the animal @Emma Smith . I admire his strength and presence of mind to do the right thing instinctively. Here, however, there are only dogs you need to watch out for.

Hurricanes and (thunder)storms are frightening as well. Sorry to hear about the damage to your house @Holly Saunders . Living by a lake and in a flat area without any natural obstacles I came to realise that our windows need to be specially made and way stronger than they currently are to keep the storm out. They tend to bend inward almost bursting open in storms. If things worsen, I'll have to hide in one of the rooms at the back not facing the lake and the westerly direction where the storm usually blows from.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Our house there has windows which have thick wooden shutters and burglar railings too.... so I wasn't worried about the windows blowing in, but I never even gave it a thought that the roof would be blown off. We have 2 really tall palm trees that were needing trimmed and they bent right over onto our terrace and branches more than 10 feet long blew off and caused a real wreck to our terrace, but fortunately the windows were closed and shuttered ... the palm fronds are so heavy they can do huge damage on their own. Our roof also had a 3 meter Satelite dish concreted onto it, and that was blown off too...

Don Alaska and Thomas Stearn like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think this is an example of one of the times we are given "super strength" to overcome! :)

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Thomas Stearn

Registered

Goodness, never heard of satellite dishes concreted onto a roof (and still blown off). Ours are between 60 and 90 cm.
    Did you have insurance cover worthy of the name and did you manage to get it repaired soon or did it have to be open for days with more rain pouring in? That's what usually happens here.

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Actually my husband had to repair the roof in the end, because typically with Spain everything is Mañana, and we started to get Damp & Mould into the outside walls , it caused a horrible mess .

12. Thomas Stearn

Registered

The whole roof? He must be a DIYer and an allrounder then. Well done.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Ultimately we got rid of the 3 metre satellite dish which was needed to receive British tv programmes, but Spain put a stop to it, and so we ended up with a much smaller one to receive Spanish TV, and had it placed just on the corner of the house,. I have a photo somewhere , if I come across it I'll post it...

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes he's actually quite a superman when it comes to DIY he does all of our electrics, plumbing, decorating , car maintenance etc... , but in this case he had the help of our neighbour who is the community builder, and maintenance man

15. Thomas Stearn

Registered

Guess he's got other qualities as well... Married to a superman, that's something.:) No wonder nobody ever took an interest in me. :rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.