College Degree Or Skilled Trade Certificate?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I thought you might not be, but on the chance you were, you would instantly understand the reference. Fictitious character in an historical novel which details the life's encounters of the son of a WW-II Vet, the brother of whom was involved in the Hooverville debacle.

Henry Bowman's father was a Flight Instructor in Florida whose record of turning out pilots of excellency was higher than any other. He achieved that fact by circumventing bureaucratic intereference largely, was not well-liked by other instructors, had far fewer pilots he had trained become lost in action statistics. He instilled his general life philosophy in his son Henry.

Henry taught a class on personal self-defense as an elective while in college. The class consisted mainly of young women. A few took the class because they had been personally assaulted. Henry revealed amazing facts and thoughts which leapt out at me as absolutely true, once you considered them, but they had never dawned on me before.

I think you would find the book to be most satisfying reading. "Unintended Consequences", by John Ross. Accurate Press, St. Louis, 1996.
    Frank

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica
    Thanks for reading. :) I'm sorry, Frank, I didn't want to cause confusion. I was under the illusion that almost everyone writing here knew by now that I am from Germany/Europe. I'd mentioned that in my introduction to the forum and one click on my profile as well as the language reveal that on the spot. I often write "over here" so as to remind readers. But you're right, I should have mentioned at the beginning of my post that I was talking about the German educational system. Will do so in the future.
    I wrote that post since it seems that the question raised in this thread is a relevant one in all western countries and I wanted to explain what the reasons for the respective choice are in my country hoping that it would help readers to compare and that it would show some similarities and possibly some differences to those writing here about the US system. I find such a comparison interesting.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am guessing that the educational problems in Germany aren't that much different than in the United States.

Frank Sanoica and Thomas Stearn like this.
  4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

That's my impression as well and why I wrote this post.

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I would personally take Apprenticeship and getting paid for learning a trade over going to College only to use the degree I earned to pay off Student loans for basically the rest of my life.

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

You've got something there, Barbara! (Babs)

Harold (Hal)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

After reading all the whining of college grads on reddit concerning lack of jobs for their degrees, combined with the outrageous cost of them, I'd say trade schools are the best choice, followed maybe by community (free) colleges. The brand name universities are an expensive crapshoot.

Frank Sanoica likes this.