Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm sure you and everyone else knew this, but I didn't: light-roast coffee has more caffeine than dark-roast.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, now you have hit on why they made all the different roasts. Something for everyone.

Joanna Newton likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Marie, it seems that they are all "the expensive brands" nowadays. :D I'm definitely not a coffee snob but I do like to try new things. We used to drink Folgers exclusively for years, mainly because it was always readily available and we liked it.

Joanna Newton likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I just order Folgers in small bulk. Its not my favorite but that too changed a few years ago, we just buy Folgers now and Jake likes instant which I don't drink unless there is nothing else.

Beth Gallagher and Joanna Newton like this.
  5. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think it's weird that it's so hard to find a stainless, stove-top drip pot now. I can find exactly ONE on Amazon; it gets poor reviews and is made in India, and costs nearly $80. I ordered an old vintage pot from Ebay for $8, but I couldn't get the aluminum to clean up enough to suit me. I have a Chemex pour-over, but it's glass and requires coffee filters to use.

Not sure why I have this bee in my bonnet; I guess I'm bored. :D

7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We use to drink Folgers many years ago. We were satisfied with it. THEN they always have to go screw with it and call it the "improved" version, which it never is. It is weaker, flavorless, cost more, and you get less coffee in the new pretty "improved" container. We like our coffee so we are always in search of a good one. So far, we are enjoying Black Rifle coffee. I believe Ken and Beth have mentioned it. We tried it. We liked it. We are running with that brand for the time being.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had no idea.

9. John Brunner

Is there a difference between a stove top drip pot and a stove top percolator, or am I just being anal about word choice? Is there a stove top version where the fresh water drips through the grounds just once, and the brewed coffee does not get boiled/recirculated?

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

With any drip pot, you boil the water and pour it over coffee grounds. Percolators "perk." :D

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Gotcha. I think of the electric Mr. Coffee types as drip pots, so wondered if there might not be a stove top type.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I call them "stovetop" but they would only need to be on the stove to keep warm. The pots like my parents used to use had three parts... the base that holds finished brew, the grounds basket, and a top piece that is where the boiling water is poured. They didn't require any filters or anything. The vintage one I bought looks like this...

west bend.png

So that top part is the water tank and the bottom is the serving pot. (You can't see the basket for grounds in this photo.) After the boiling water is poured and has dripped through the grounds, the top and grounds basket are removed and the lid placed on the serving pot.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

During power outages, I've boiled water on my Killer [gas] Stove, then poured it through the basket from my electric drip machine and into the pot. It makes a great cup of coffee because boiling water is hotter than the machines get (160°F for the cheap machines and 190°F for the expensive ones.)

It's funny, I can recall all the different things my mother used to brew tea, but for the life of me I cannot recall a single coffee maker we had for my father's coffee. But he was mostly up & out of the house before I got out of bed, and he did not drink coffee in the evenings.

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Of course they have to mess with it and say its improved. For now I am ok with it.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I like pour-over coffee and I have a couple of the glass-with-paper filter type (Chemex). I want one that I don't need filters for. Those old drip pots have limited small holes where the water drips through, so it is a relatively long brew time.

My parents had assorted pots-- stovetop percolators, drip-o-lators, and a Sunbeam electric percolator that I recall. Both of them drank coffee so it was brewed a few times a day. I started drinking coffee as a kid; I could have "coffee milk" if I wanted. I suppose that's child abuse today. :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.