Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It will show them when you are searching. Here is an example for the Capresso coffee grinder.
    https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=capres...ix=Capresso,aps,101&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_8

You will see that the one on sale for $99 shows several used options, and if you click on that one to look then you can see the used options, which is the warehouse deals. Sometimes, different color options have a returned item on sale, so when I am searching, I always check out all of the different colors (when available) to see if there are deals .
    You will also notice that some of the coffee grinders show discounts in price, either because they are overstocked, being promoted, or the model is going out of style. these are brand new, just discounted.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

On the main page, click the down arrow next to "All" next to the address box...

whse.png

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The things we never knew.

Thank you.

4. John Brunner

I've been experimenting with chicory root granules. The directions say to put 1TB in 1 cup of water in a covered pot, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. So instead of throwing some granules in with the coffee grounds and letting them go through a brew cycle together (probably extracting nothing from the chicory), I made the chicory drink per the directions, put the chicory drink into the coffee pot, and then brewed a pot of coffee into it so I have maybe a blend of 1/3 chicory and 2/3 coffee. It was quite tasty, and [obviously] cut back the caffeine. It's just not real convenient, and I'm afraid to brew a batch of chicory ahead and run it through the machine with the brewing water to heat it up for fear it may gum up the machine's insides. I guess I could nuke it.

Another benefit to brewing the chicory that way is that it likely breaks down the inulin into a state/form that is more accessible to gut bacteria. I'll not go down that rabbit hole here (maybe I'll post in the Gut Health thread), but the more I read about inulin the more fascinating I find it. Let's just say that non-processed inulin might not provide much benefit as a prebiotic.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I used the air compressor on the grinder yesterday and it didn't fix it,so I'm using my old coffee/spice blade grinder. I don't really care that it tears the beans rather than lovingly crunches them into uniform granules. I might try to take the grinder apart and see if I can get to the switch, or I may just buy a replacement next time I'm in Charlottesville shopping (which is usually weekly.)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I decided to try some new Amazon-branded k-cup things for the Keurig-type machines. These look like copies of the San Francisco Bay pods that are biodegradable and they get good reviews, plus they are cheap. I bought a box of 96 for $28 and they should be here tomorrow. The brand name is "Happy Belly". :rolleyes: We'll just see about that.

upload_2023-1-28_17-40-15.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZZP158W?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've tried some of the Amazon K-cups and they're okay, and when I say okay, that's about the best I can do for any K-cup. I thought K-cups were a great idea at first but I've grown bored with them. None of them have the rich taste that I can get from fresh-ground percolated coffee, or even drip coffee. I didn't find the Amazon ones to be inferior to most of the others, though.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Have you had these "Happy Belly" ones? I tried the Amazon regular k-cups a while ago and I agree that they weren't very good. I'm not expecting a lot but maybe they'll surprise me. I really like the San Francisco Bay pods that look like these, though they do leave a lot of residue in a cup.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't know if I've tried any, but Michelle has had them. I've tried the San Francisco Bay pods once but didn't like them, although it might have been the particular blend. I don't really strong coffee and, if I remember correctly, you prefer it stronger.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I do prefer strong coffee.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've had two cups of the Amazon "Happy Belly" coffee pods, and I'm giving it a thumbs up. Worked fine in my Keurig machine and brewed a nice cup of coffee. I use the smallest cup size on the machine for a regular cup (not mug). It is strong enough and a smooth tasting coffee. It did leave a bit of residue in my cup but no biggie. I will buy these again and check to see if they are a "Subscribe and Save" option. I chose the French roast but it's available in several different roasts.

upload_2023-1-29_19-39-13.png upload_2023-1-29_19-43-27.png

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just noticed that the Happy Belly coffee is also available in regular ground coffee. CLICK!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like stronger than weaker coffee but I don’t like dark roasts. I’ve tried, just tastes burnt to me. I like a strong brew of a light roast bean. Yum.

Krystal Shay and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I have found the same with dark roast and Black Silk brand from Folders. Not what it used to be. I hear none of it is. But we don't but the expensive brands, so it is what it is.

15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tend to not look very closely at coffee prices. It is really my only vice and I don’t intend to give it up. A few years back, we started buying from a local roaster. They have now made it big time and even supply Costco with a couple of their coffees. Also, they support small coffee growers in different countries, working with them to grow organic coffees. I think they have some really nice light coffees. I forget what the exact amount is but if you order enough at one time, they have free shipping. We used to go down and pick up ours just to watch the big brewing and packing area through the windows. Good stuff.

https://mayorgacoffee.com/collections/coffee-bags

I also thought it’s interesting hearing the stories of some of the growers.

https://mayorgacoffee.com/pages/origins

Krystal Shay likes this.