Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How is it without all the stuff you added? :D

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I read that the only downside to freezing beans is the condensation/refreezing they will be subjected to as you pull them out/take a serving/put them back. I would think the obvious solution would be to freeze them in quantities of several days' servings, and to defrost that short-term batch.

Regarding $5,000 for 20 grams...that's more expensive than stuff that's illegal. And that's only 2 cups of coffee. How absurd. "It only cost me $35,000 to dial it in for my brewer." I don't understand how all the naive people end up with all that money. Having an IQ is apparently a disadvantage.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, you have to consider that buoyant mouth feel. That's got to be worth a few $k.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

5. John Brunner

"Hints of dark chocolate, cedar and plum all linger faintly but persistently in a sweet-toned finish." You and I need to write reviews. Doing it with a straight face would be the struggle.

So maybe that roaster that put "Figs and Raisins" on the bag of Kenya coffee was being allegorical. I'll have to call them, still under the pretense of buying a gift for a friend. "So which of these goes best with pig's feet?"

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. John Brunner

@Beth Gallagher

The 8 O'Clock I bought a month or so ago says Good Until 9/15/21.
    >That's at least a 10 month shelf life.
    I received 2 local blends today with stickers on the bottoms that say Good Until 6/4/21, but reference no Roast Date.
    >That's at least a 7 month shelf life if it were just roasted.
    Pete's has a Born On Date of 10/20/20 and a Good Until Date of 1/24/21
    >That's a 3 month shelf life, which seems to be the standard recommendation.
    The 3 local blends I received the other day all say "Roasted on 12/15/20" with no expiry date.

Interesting, huh?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I saw that each bag of commercially packaged beans has a "best by" date but I still don't want to have a bunch of packages open at once. The hard part is that I want to try them all... so I suppose I should bust out the vacuum sealer, try them, then seal 'em back up until it's time to use. I'm not going to freeze any of it, though I have read that ground coffee can be kept in the freezer. Conflicting information as usual.

I have made 2 pots of the Community French roast today and enjoyed it. I like the Peet's and the Community beans. Actually the only undrinkable brew so far was the Folger's. I want to get some Eight 0'Clock beans but I need to cool it till I use some of these that I have.

I'm enjoying the grinder more than I expected to. I found that if I tip it forward after grinding with the hopper in place and tap a couple of times, the residual in the chute seems to fall out.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yesterday the Grindz grinder cleaning tablets arrived... in a manner of speaking. :D The plastic bottle was in a padded envelope, and when I opened the envelope a bunch of yellow powder that looked like fine cornmeal fell out. Apparently the package was crushed in transit and the top of the bottle broke, allowing some of the contents to spill out. I would normally have just kept what was left but since I paid nearly $30 for the stuff I decided to ask for a refund.

Apparently I purchased from a 2nd party vendor on Amazon (didn't notice since it was Prime), they refunded my money but wanted me to return the broken bottle of pellets. So I dumped it all back in the padded envelope and sealed it up. They are sending UPS to pick it up. Is that ridiculous? It probably cost them more than the product was worth in 2-way shipping, but whatever. Normally for Amazon damaged shipments they just give a refund and say to toss the stuff.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Paging @Bobby Cole; please report to the Coffee Thread. :D I finally opened the McCafe Columbian and brewed a pot. It's not bad, but not as good as the French Roast to me. Kind of has an aftertaste and slightly bitter, but not bad. I doubt I'll buy it again but I'll definitely use the rest of the can.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Another one that we like is the Victor Allen k-cups, @Beth Gallagher . We originally tried this 4-style package, but neither one of us really liked the dark French Roast (we still have a couple sitting in the K-cup drawer); but Bobby really enjoys the Colombian blend, and I liked the other two.
    It is a good way to see if you like their blends or not, and then you can buy larger sizes of the blend that you prefer.
    They also make some amazing flavored coffee blends, and I have tried some of those, too. I really like the Blackberry Cobbler one !

4355A6FC-AE66-4ACC-9973-F94487973861.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Yvonne. I like those "samplers"; it's a way to taste a few without wasting a lot of money. I have quite a stockpile right now but it's fun to try new stuff.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Think of it. What would have happened if Seattle”s Best and Starbucks hadn’t settled in and showed us how buzzed we can get off of coffee?
    I mean, I used to go to Starbucks in Seattle and order 2 Americano Grandes with 4 shots which tightened me up so much I looked like I had Tourette’s syndrome or hit by lightning.
    Probably why I’m a weakling with coffee now...........

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hah. I can count the times I've been to Starbucks on 1 hand and have fingers left over. And when I did go, I'd get the small plain coffee. I was not their target audience. :D

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

On December 3 I ordered k-cups from Costco, both Kirkland brand and some Peet's French roast that were on sale. The Kirkland came right away but the Peet's were delayed, shipped directly from Peet's and arrived yesterday. Apparently there was a mix-up, either by Peet's or Costco, because I received 2 cases when I only paid for one. I have emailed Costco's customer service to let them know.

Bobby Cole likes this.