Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well if you'll email me some of that custard and a brownie I'll give it a try. :D

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's certainly strange that every coffee you have had lately is tasting bad.

The first pot I made in the Bunn was truly disgusting, but it was a can of Folger's light roast something that my husband bought by mistake. (He thinks all Folger's is the same and he's not too far off the mark. :D Weird that for many years, Folgers was the only coffee we drank.) After making the McCafe and Peet's, I'm happy with the Bunn.

Hmmm. I wonder if the package from my son is at someone else's house. The UPS truck drove by without stopping. :confused:

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps there is some correlation between how much a coffee pot costs and the expense of the coffee. A tit for tat kinda thing. Maybe if the maker is expensive and the coffee is expensive and it doesn’t taste good, one might need to hold one’s pinky up whilst sipping the coffee to make it better.
    There’s a lot to be said for technique.

Or, (back in the day). if it ain’t good, throw a couple of shots of Kaluah in it to kill the coffee taste.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think a lot of it is just liking what you're used to. Almost everyone I know (and visit) has a Keurig machine. (Inlaws, outlaws, friends, doctor's office, etc.) So if I have a McCafe k-cup or a Community French Roast k-cup, I pretty much know what I'm going to get. I'm never going to be a coffee connoisseur and that's OK. :D I'm glad that the McCafe ground coffee gives me consistent results in the Bunn machine, too. No pinkie finger extension required.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So I couldn't wait to satisfy my curiosity and went to IHOP. They're open late on Fridays...until 8PM! Woo Hoo!!!

I got dinner with water and coffee.
    The coffee tasted horrible. Dinner was fine.
    It's me.

I have an appointment with the urologist and with my GP next month. We'll see what they say.
    Everything else tastes fine. I have no general loss of taste and no other changes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I used to be perfectly content with Folgers or Maxwell House and considered Luzianne to be fancy stuff.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Coffee Confessions."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, thank goodness you finally made it to IHOP! Is this the standard against which all coffees are measured? :D:D

Sorry you're not enjoying coffee, John. Weird that no other tastes are affected, though.

9. John Brunner

I've previously posted links to similar stories dated up to 7 years ago. "Coffee suddenly tastes like crap, no other tastes affected." Some posted things returned to normal in a couple of weeks (one such person was a barista), others claim to have suffered for months at the time of their comment and the condition still persisted.

This all started when I got the Breville. I wonder if I trashed my sensors with strongly-extracted crap coffee. Very odd, indeed.

Regarding IHOP...I've never had a bad cup there or at McDonald's. They are merely the most convenient "not-brewed-at-home" reference points with which I am familiar. The nearest 7-11 is 1/2 hour north of here.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, in a week's time I have managed to corner the market on coffee beans. :rolleyes: I ordered some from Amazon, Walmart, and a bag with my grocery order. Then my youngest son sent me a box of several types to try. I'm going to be a grinding fool, people.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. John Brunner

I know what you mean.

In addition to the 8 O'Clock, the Hills Bros and the White Monkey I have on hand, I got 3 from a local roaster, 2 from another local roaster (just received this AM), and one from the Coffee Forum guy out in Minnesota due in today's mail. I hope they don't go to waste. I've vacuum-sealed the one's I've received in anticipation of my rogue buds coming home someday.

You'll have to report on your favorites.
    And please, no "This one has fruity overtones, in a vegetable kind of way."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Looks like an appropriate place to comment on my new matcha green tea that just arrived today.
    I have not made a cup yet, but I can say (and Bobby agrees), that it has “alfalfa overtones”, not necessarily in a fruity kind of way. At least when I smelled it.
    I guess it is time to make a cup and see if it has me galloping around the house and whinnying....

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

I've had lots of green teas, but have never been into macha.

Regarding "alfalfa overtones," it might have less to do with horseplay and more to do with off-key singing:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Drinking it some now, I added a little sweetener, milk, cinnamon and cardamom , and it tastes pretty good. It is an interesting color of green. I blended the milk and matcha tea in the blender and then added boiling water and the rest of the ingredients.
    I like it better than the green tea that comes in tea bags, that is for sure.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I need to figure out the best way to store the bags that are open. Most of the bags have been vacuum-sealed and I "assume" they will be fine until the seal is broken. I suppose I'll whip out the vacuum sealer to help keep them as fresh as possible. I'm anxious to try some of the ones my son sent but I don't want to have a bunch of opened packages going stale.

The beans from Walmart are Community French Roast and I made a pot of that a little while ago. It's surprisingly good. How about "Graceful, polished, exquisitely floral. Lavender, vanilla bean, bergamot, cocoa nib, lychee in aroma and cup. Delicate, vivid, multi-layered structure with elegantly sweet-tart acidity; very silky, buoyant mouthfeel. Elongated, richly floral, complex finish." :D

OK, I stole that from "Coffee Reviews." :p Their description of coffee that costs $5,000 for 20 grams. What the actual hell?? https://www.coffeereview.com/review/gw01-finca-sophia-olympus-geisha/

And who doesn't want a "buoyant mouth feel????"