Coffee: Antioxidant And Healthy Drink?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Avigail David, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Depending on who I ask, it's either brewed ground coffee is extra beneficial and a healthy drink or superlatively bad for me. I've cut down from 3 cups of cappucino per day to 1 or none a day in a week (almost). The reason is that doctors say that it's bad for arthritis sufferers. But ironically, they prescribe acid-based drugs for any osteoarthritic-related problems. That's a bit strange to make sense of it all about pharma-sponsored docs (unrelated topic, but never mind).

Dr. Mercola dot com recently posted an article (I just saw it today) about the highly antioxidant and Vit. B benefits of ground coffee, and it's linked to reduced risk of many diseases. I guess, I'm pretty selective in my choices of getting rid of beloved coffee or maintaining my daily intake of brewed coffee. It contains caffeine. And it's just what I need to stimulate me to sleep late even after a day's work--especially when I drive or try to write through the late evenings. School holidays keep me up my toes going to family picnics and community-sponsored free classes for the children such as drama classes and paid Krav Maga or Karate and soccer games.

One more thing, the Mercola article says that caffeine stimulates brain function and boosts/ boots up metabolism. With my advancing age and a lot more to do and dream doing everyday: I'd choose brain and body natural activity, thus, enjoy a cup or two strong shot of coffee in a day.

But still, moderation is the key. But further down the article, some of these boosting effects of ground coffee are mostly short-term. But a lot is said in the article which looks pretty convincing with many years of studies and researches about Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, depression, diabetes and longevity of life span.

Coffee can be addictive too. I think I prefer to function properly without coffee, especially when I need to sleep at the end of a busy day. :)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Have you heard of virgin & organic coconut oil and it's benefits? It should help cholesterol and other benefits for your body too. Here is a site for the news:
    http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/st...ibits-inflammation-associated-with-arthritis/.
    I love the virgin & organic coconut oil for remedies. It's great for dry skin and cooking too. Maybe it's the kind of coffee that's good for certain things drunk black I think. I remember seeing it on Dr. Oz. His site has helpful videos. Be sure to check with your pharmacist if you take meds if you're going to try anything new like coconut oil to be safe.

Avigail David likes this.
  3. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, @Krissttina Isobe Thank you. In fact, I use a lot of coconut oil in our diet, even in my hot cocoa drink. :) No, I never take meds or prescription drugs. :cool: Can't afford the maintenance, if ever. Nutritious food is better investment :D.

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope coffee is good for my health, I sure drink a lot of it.

On the I've learned from being around so many years....the so called "experts" are not experts at all and are wrong much more often than right.

After all, it was "experts" who said eggs were bad for you and aspartame was good for you and other nonsense.

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure that there are benefits in the antioxidants contained in coffee, but these can be provided by other foods. What frightened me about drinking coffee was that I became dependent on caffeine. I used to be a big coffee drinker, consuming multiple mugs of strong black coffee each day. I started to cut down by not drinking any after 4pm, and I gave it up completely about 5 years ago.

I was experiencing caffeine withdrawal symptoms when I had not had a coffee for a while and when I gave up altogether I suffered a whole week with headaches, sleeplessness, muscle pains and low moods. Since that week I have avoided caffeine and I feel a lot better for it. I don't miss coffee or tea and never want to go back to relying on that caffeine hit.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Coffee is banned in our house, at least in principle. My husband doesn't like coffee, the odor and the effect. Last week in the buffet breakfast in the hotel in Vietnam, I was served coffee. He then asked me to move my cup to the other side, away from him because he said he is losing his appetite.

His abhorrence for coffee started when he was in high school. His mother's younger brother died from heart attack triggered by anxiety attack. And people say it's all because of coffee, drinking too much can make you nervous. We still don't know if that claim is true, about coffee making one nervous but it's not easy to argue with my husband, hahahaaa.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The driver of a big rig truck, who drinks too much coffee. could run you over....so yeah, I guess coffee could kill you!;)

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Even drinking water can cause death , if you drink too much ! Seriously, I think that drinking coffee is not a bad thing, and we should use common sense in how much of anything is okay to consume.
    I really look forward to having a cup coffee first thing in the morning, especially when the mornings are starting to get chilly, like they are doing now. In the heat of summer, often I do not even bother with coffee, or will maybe have an iced coffee later on during the heat of the day.
    Now, I have one cup, maybe a refill, and then I am done with coffee for the day. I have also given up drinking soda pop (except for occasionally ) , and most of the cola drinks also have a lot of caffeine in them, and I think that they are worse for a person that having a cup of coffee would be.

Sugar in the coffee might be what caused the anxiety attack, too, @Corie Henson. Sugar triggers both insulin and adrenalin release, and combined with a strong hit of caffeine in the coffee, that could be a possible reason for an anxiety attack, although many other things could have caused the heart attack of your husband's uncle.

Joe Riley and Corie Henson like this.
  9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the smell of brewing coffee, I only drink one mug a day. I have also read that coffee is good for you if you drink it in moderation. I think some coffees make my stomach hurt, it cause me to produce too much stomach acid. I have not tried the coconut oils but I have heard that it is good for dry skin which I have.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered