Clotheslines?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 9, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree 100% on HOAs. I have a friend here who moved to a different county so his daughter could go to a better school system, and ended up in a development that has an HOA. But somehow he got through the settlement process without signing the agreement. Oops!!! I don't know the legalities of such things, or how you could live in such an area and not be subject to their regs, but he does it...and he has respectful fun with them (he does not egregiously abuse his status, but he parks his own commercial truck in his own personal driveway.) They can't tolerate someone not being under their thumb.

Regarding your clothesline...do you have pics of the finished product you can post? I've toyed with various ideas of making temporary set-ups (I really don't want permanent poles), but haven't done anything yet.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm, we live in a HOA neighborhood but we never had to sign up for anything. At closing we were given a copy of the deed restrictions that govern the subdivision. I don't really mind the HOA; they take care of the community center, the streetlights, and the boat ramp. Also keep idiots from painting their house bright pink with neon green shutters.

We have had a couple of run-ins with them, mostly when we park the motorhome on the driveway for a few days (for cleaning, unloading, etc.) I just place the notice in File 13 and get on with my life.

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I started this thread, Ed!

I never expected to get so much traffic from it!:)

Hal

4. John Brunner

I lived in Vienna when it went from a hick town to a place for the nouveau riche, mostly on the back of Federal taxpayers in one way or another. One such transplant moved across the street from a local plumber whose family has been here for generations. (This is a suburban neighborhood with no HOA.) The plumber liked his pink flamingos. The new neighbor did not, and tried to have the town government make them migrate to whence they came.

The new guy was unsuccessful.
    The plumber then decided they would look better strung from his tree. They kinda did, actually. I had no idea they were of a perching species.

Come Christmas, the plumber set out his well-known lawn decorations, as only a plumber could do: Santa holding the reins of his charge, sitting on his porcelain sleigh...made by American Standard.

I used to take coworkers by there when we'd go out to lunch and tell them that was the mayor's house.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I live in a country where clothes dryers are rare. Clotheslines are a little more common but in the countryside the clothes just get thrown over everything fences, chairs, tables, cactus, doors. motorcycle, and anything else. We have three lines under our ranch and use the spring loaded wooden clothes pegs which also get use for a thousand other purposes

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I live in one of the older houses in town. Through a friend who worked in the town hall, I learned that the town didn't even have a record of the floor plan of my house since it was built before the town had a building code, so I can do pretty much anything I want without worrying about a permit.

Frank Sanoica and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

That's pretty cool.

In the town I lived in for so long, they declared the older part of town to be an "historic district." No history happened there, but the houses were old, and so it just happened 'cause it sounded cool. Those poor people in that 3-4 square block of town had to sit back and watch everyone else get rich off of subdividing, and they couldn't even upgrade their windows without government permission. Last I heard, lawsuits remain unsuccessful.

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

How do you "build" a clothes line? A pulley on the back porch, another n a tree and a rope. Hardly what I would call building. We have a clothes line that I erected, I managed it with out plans or blueprints. We mostly use it for sheets and towels.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I just tied a line to two trees. I was quite proud of my accomplishment. There's no end to my ambition sometimes.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Years ago my mother had clotheslines that had "T" supports on each end made from 4x4's or something similar. There was a bit of "building" required to connect the top T to the main post, and then some post-hole digging to set them. We never had any clothesline connected to our porch or under a tree; clothes need sunshine.

[​IMG]

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I lived in Lathrop Wells, Nevada, no one had dryers but there were 2 clothesline’s in the whole town of 35 and both of them were conveniently placed in the back of the Watering Hole Bar and Restaurant. One would think it was a good thing to have a place to dry clothes and slug down a cold beer or two but the thing is, the air is so dry and hot that by the time one would hang up the last piece of clothing, the first would already be dry.

The only exception was the Shamrock Cathouse. They weren’t counted in the population and since they couldn’t leave even one step out of the house lest they had to go through the medical exam again before going back to uh....work, they had their own laundry facilities.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Now this is a serious discussion ( well I think it is ) cause I just had it with my hubby :p:p

Ladies and Men cause we’ve got some singles here

How do you hang your washing out , I try to hang it so it shows the least peg marks ( we call them pegs)

not pins …so I was busy and hubby started hanging out our bed sheets and it irritates me how he pegs stuff …but why in the world would it matter how they are pegged out as long as they don’t end up down in the dirt ??? but it dose and I have to change the way he’s pegged something out.

Unusually tops like tee shirts / shirts / other tops get put over the line and get pegged under the arm area, long pants ect pegged at the outside edges of the waist with front of jeans ect open ( especially in winter ) for the wind / sun to dry them

he will hang towels partly over the line and all types of linen it gos over the line ..grrrrrr I have to change it ….it annoys me but the big WHY ?? is it the way we were taught ? when young or just plain common sense …,.he just walks away as I change the pegs position in most stuff

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hi Kate. I don't have a clothesline so everything goes in the dryer except a few delicate things I lay flat to dry. There was a previous discussion about clotheslines in this thread... https://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/clotheslines.15803/

My husband will do laundry but usually I do it. He doesn't fold things to suit me. :D

14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No biggie, Kate. It's not exactly the same topic as yours! I doubt that my husband would hang sheets to suit me, either. Usually when he helps fold clothes I end up re-folding because I like things done my way. :D