Classical Music In Video Games! Wow!

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Eilynne Medalla, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Eilynne Medalla

Eilynne Medalla Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved classical music (Schumann, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, etc). My husband is blessed with a base/tenor voice singing contemporary songs and plays both the organ & piano. But our love for classical music is something that has bind us for 42 years!

I was never into video game myself (but my 32-year old bachelor son is into it for as long as I can remember). My interest was ignited upon discovering that my 14-year old Japanese boy ESL student is quite addicted to it. He speaks & thinks nothing else except his favorite video games. In fact, I presume that the primary reason why his mother enrolls him in my class 4X a week is to divert his attention from video games. To have something to bond with him as a form of encouragement, I asked my son to show me how my student's favorite games, i.e. The Battle of Olympus and Tetris are being played. How surprised I was to hear that these games are being played with classical music background. I was astounded why on earth Tchaikovsky and Johann Sebastian Bach's timeless classical music genre are used for video games!

It's amazing to know that video gamers are also cultured people and should be commended and appreciated for using those classic scores into their electronic games. This is definitely a tribute of a different level to the composers to ensure that their music lives on in today's digital world. It is also a tangible proof that their music legacy is still very relevant to the current generation in enhancing their gaming pleasure (in the same way that their music enriched the composers' own lives during their lifetime). Perhaps it is not the ideal way to listen to classical music but playing it with video games is one way of exposing the kids (and adult gamers) to classical music in today’s and forthcoming generations.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Austrian composer Franz Schubert, who gave the world such works as the "Unfinished Symphony" (#8), "Schubert's Serenade", and other beautiful works from the Romantic Period, died at the age of 31...from syphillis.

Hal

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  3. Louise Miller

Louise Miller Veteran Member
    Registered

Well that will teach him to play around!

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered