Circuit Breaker Panels

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Little story here. I worked Sears Maintenance part-time while building our custom home, mainly evenings. My boss, the Building Engineer, hired me remarking I was way over-qualified with an Engineering Degree, but he understood I was actively building a house.

One evening, I had need to work up at ceiling level in the basement, atop a 12-foot step ladder. Upstairs, floor above, was Salesfloor. I turned off the circuit breaker feeding the junction box below, inside a locked Electrical Equipment Room, and LOCKED the breaker panel door, returning downstairs and up the ladder. On a hunch, I checked the wires in the box: STILL LIVE! Geez, could I have turned off the wrong circuit breaker? Back upstairs, I found the circuit breaker panel door gaping open, the LOCK BROKEN to gain access, the breaker turned ON!

I knew the table lamp displays were fed by that breaker, so sought out the Department Manager, A guy I knew quite well. I was PISSED! He nonchalantly admitted forcing entry and turning on the breaker. I admonished him explaining the possible consequences which might have happened. He countered with the "unhappy customer" argument, of course concerned with his own image. Next day I related the incident to my boss, who was visibly shaken, telling me he would speak to the guy concerned. I expected a complaint rather with at least the Store Manager; the offending moron should have been terminated. In a few days, the Household Goods Manager apologized to me. He had no concept of the possible consequences of his stupid act; a fall off the big ladder, broken back, possible para- or quadraplegic..........

In comparison, when I worked as Plant Engineer at a Gypsum Wallboard Plant in Colorado, a worker fell from a moving railroad hopper car filled with gypsum rock, fortunately only breaking a wrist; he might have been cut in two. My boss, the Works Manager, shakily informed us in a meeting that any death occurring at the plant would automatically curtail his position with the company!

Such was working for Sears.......

Frank

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Tunnel vision. :(