Chubby Coffee Cup

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I just paid $32.50 for a coffee cup, and that is far more than I've ever paid for a coffee cup before. I have another just like it, which was a promotional offer from Starbucks many year ago, but the handle is loose now, and I am afraid it won't last much longer.

The design is perfect for a coffee cup, and I don't know why there aren't more like it Wide on the bottom and narrow on the top, it holds the temperature very well. Plus it is aluminum, and it comes with a top, both of which also help retain the temperature of the coffee.

After looking around for something cheaper, I finally bought it on Amazon.com despite the hefty price. This one is exactly the same as my Starbucks cup except that "Starbucks" isn't engraved on it, and it has the top, whereas I had lost the top for the Starbucks cup years ago.

chubby-cup.jpg

2. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Well-Known Member
    Registered

Congratulations, Ken! You're all set now. It's worth the money if it suits you.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, that's nice! I had a different visual in mind when I first saw what you were saying and before I saw the picture. I have a Starbucks mug from years ago, too, and it's "chubby" in that it's very wide and deep with a thick handle... which makes it very hard to hold and sometimes I even lose my grip on it. Thought that's what you meant, but this one is much nicer!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Well-Known Member
    Registered

It kind of looks like a teapot for the stove.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson There are "collectors" waiting in line to buy a great variety of things, often with high hopes of eventually making a profit when selling. First thing comes to mind is the old, original Corning Ware dishes and such. Truly valuable antique items of amazing complexity are being reproduced and marketed, the implication being they are "real". Here is an example of a clever "fake". Inscribed U.S. Navy Diving Helmet, it was made of solid copper and brass. I picked it up at a large flea market in Ft. Wayne, IN. Photo taken at Christmas Party at my house, 1978. Clockwise, from left, guy with maroon shirt Frank Sanoica, Chip Angus, my Welder, Jim Rennecker, Maintenance, in the helmet, Bruce Rockwell, my coworker Engineer.

[​IMG]

6. Ken Anderson

Registered

After using this cup for a while, with the cover that I didn't have for my old one, I couldn't love it more. The fact that it's aluminum, the shape, and the cover all work together fantastically. I often get tied up in things that I'm doing online, and find that my coffee is cold, but it seems never to get cold in this cup. Technically, I'm sure it would get cold eventually, but you know what I mean. Very expensive for a coffee cup, but I love it. There's a little sippy slot in the cover, so it isn't necessary to take the cover off.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cool cup and I hope it lasts you a long while. When you love coffee and need it where you are you'd like one that works well for you and your work. Congrats! I don't see any coffee cups locally like that either.

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I ever paid 32 dollars for a coffee cup it better be made of pure silver! lol. My favorite mug is one I got a yard sale, which is a hand made ceramic one. It has a beautiful design. I have seen similar ones for sale for 20 dollars or more. I think I paid all of one dollar for the one I bought.

9. Ken Anderson

Registered

Having used this cup, with the top, for a couple of months now, let me tell you that it was well worth the cost, although I still don't know why there aren't more like it being made. The base is wide enough that if I am driving alone, I can just set it on the passenger seat and it won't tip over. But the best thing is that the combination of the shape and the top keeps the coffee warm for a long time. I often get busy working or in conversation here in the forum, and I used to throw a lot of coffee away because I can only reheat it so many times and it doesn't taste good anymore. With this cup, I can leave it on my desk while I go upstairs, eat supper and play a game of cards with my wife, and it's still plenty warm when I come back downstairs.

Joe Riley and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting your cup is made of aluminum. Back in 1962 I first heard about a fear of aluminum contamination. With so many items made of the metal such as food and beverage cans, cooking utensils etc, I recently started doing a bit of research on the subject. Here's one study I found.
    http://www.raysahelian.com/aluminum.html

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Registered

Actually, I was just assuming it was aluminum. It looks aluminum and feels aluminum, but it might be stainless steel. Oh yeah, I see. Stainless steel is in the title of it, so it's not aluminum after all.

Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just in case those studies were right, you're safe then.:) Me, I'm so contaminated from all the aluminum beer cans, cook pots and coffee pots I've used. They'll probably melt me down and make more cans when I croak.:eek:

13. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's a nice looking cup. I have one that is straight up - not Starbucks, I got it from Liverpool Airport (UK) about 7 years ago.

Ike Willis likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ike Willis

Ike, thank you for that link! I've heard aluminum has been implicated in some ways with Alzheimer's Disease, but have some doubts myself about that. Aluminum cookpots have been used by the billions for a hundred years, and there seems no "epidemic" of Alzheimer"s, but who knows? A neighbor refuses to use them, uses cast iron only, greases them up after use with old contaminant-containing fat. 'Course, this guy does not believe in painting anything to preserve it. When he built his house, the outside plywood surface he "painted" with crankcase oil drained from his engine!

15. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting how everybody has their own preferences and/or hang-ups... as for me, I prefer to drink out of plastic, at least when it's a hotter beverage like coffee.
    I have a plastic glass (contradiction in terms) that I've been using for my coffee for almost 12 years... never paid attention to the size, but it's 12 oz.
    Whenever possible, I avoid ceramic, figuring it's all coated with toxic lead glaze.
    In contrast, one of my brothers (last I knew) refuses to drink out of styrofoam.
    And then there was my late Uncle who insisted on having his coffee in regular glasses.
    To each his/her own. :)

Frank Sanoica and Ike Willis like this.
  16. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, how did you find the new mug, did you search using the term chubby? I'm thinking that might be a good design for me. Do you know about how many ounces it holds? I like a larger than normal cup, but mine are all pretty much straight from top to bottom, or with perhaps a slight flare out at the top. I agree, it does resemble a teapot, and that's what I'm thinking it would be good for, keeping my tea warm.

@Frank Sanoica I had a co-worker who wouldn't use deodorant because of the aluminum. She used one of those crystal things, instead. Her mom had contracted Alzheimer's, and she was convinced it was due to using aluminum products over the years. Incidentally, she had no obvious body odor. She was pretty fastidious and always smelled nice.

17. Ken Anderson

Registered

On the first post in this thread, I left a link to it on Amazon.com, which will also give the specifications. As for the search term, "chubby" would probably do it but I didn't know that was what it was called, so I searched on "wide bottomed metal coffee cup" or something like that. It is larger than a normal cup.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  18. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Janice Martin Everyone has some idiosyncrasies, I think, and some rarely show any, while observing folks can reveal a lot. My nephew, I've noted, will never completely drain any vessel containing liquid he is drinking. I first noticed this when, during morning coffee, he always leaves about 1/2 inch sitting in the cup. Drinking soda from a can, he spills away that last bit remaining. After noting this for years, I finally confronted him, asking why he adhered to such a process.

Because any "bad stuff" always sits at the bottom! (???!)

Janice Martin and Joe Riley like this.
  19. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yeah but, pretty much, the way that I do it is the only right way.

Janice Martin and Joe Riley like this.
  20. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We also have new stainless steel cups now, and Bobby and I just love them ! They are larger than you would want for a coffee cup (most likely) since they hold 30 oz. We use them for iced water, and it keeps the ice solid all afternoon, and still in the same little cubes as they come out of our icemaker. They are like the popular "YETI" cups, but not the name brand. They both have lids, and room enough to use a straw. I have an extra one from my other plastic drink cup, and it fits perfectly in the stainless steel cup.
    These cups sell for up to $40 online; but ours came from the Amazon Review Trader; so it only cost a couple of dollars. I have also ordered the handles for them (free), and we will have those in another day or so.
    They also have the 20 oz stainless steel vacuum-sealed cups, and I think that those would be appropriate for drinking coffee and keeping it warm until it was all drank up. I have requested a set of those, as well, and am hoping that we get them to test and review.
    image.jpeg

21. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife and I buy coffee mugs when we travel. The one I use most often came from the lighthouse museum in St Augustine, Florida. It holds a full pint but I don't fill it much more than halfway. That keeps me out of trouble because I never spill any on the carpet.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  22. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I never take coffee with me ever. I have it in the morning and that's it. I could have used some on my drive here a few days ago though.

I could also have stopped and bought a cup but that's something I never do either once I hit the road ....stop.

I don't know why but I just don't like to, even if I have to pee.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  23. Ken Anderson

Registered

I buy coffee often when I'm driving but, far too often, I forget to drink it.

24. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel I work at, so every once in a while they
    give away some outdated mugs to the employees in a raffle type thing.
    He are the two I won. Nice ceramic, heavy mugs. Glad for anything free nowadays.
    I really like the one with no handle and the lid ( Christmas one )

[​IMG]

25. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Get any other goodies, @Tim Burr? I would think a hotel has lots of things one would want and could use. Might as well raffle them off to employees.