Christmas And New Year's Holidays

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Will you be glad when both are over?

Even though we love decorating for Christmas and to celebrate the birth of Christ, will be glad when it's over. And, believe it or not, even though there are those that buy most-to-all of their Christmas gifts online, traffic is still heavy and stores still seem to be packed with people.

As far as NYE goes, will be very, very glad when that is over! The firecrackers and gunshots going off can be overwhelming, especially to older folks (Seniors) who love their sleep.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I’ll be glad when it’s over because I don't get too wrapped up in holidays anymore to begin with (except maybe the opening day of trout). In a lot of ways I think the hoopla is manufactured and overblown to begin with.

I share your feelings on New Year’s.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I look forward to Christmas morning because of my grandkids who live with us, the expression on there faces Christmas morning when they see there stuff under the tree is priceless. Christmas is for the Young and old who are young at heart. I look forward to putting baby Jesus in the nativity set on Christmas Eve it's a tradition we've had since our first year of marriage.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all and may all have a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Tony

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How many grandkids and are both grandkids and their parents living with you?

Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

3 grandkids, ages 4, 6, + 7. Yes my youngest daughter and her family lives with me & my wife. We had an apartment built onto the house many years ago when my father passed away so my mother could live with us. My mother passed away about 20 years ago the apartment has been vacant except for my daughter and family living there.
    I have seven grandkids total and one great-grandchild. Two of my grandkids just got engaged.
    Thanks for asking.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nobody lives with us and never has. We've been asked twice, by family, and twice we said "sorry, no". There were situations, dealing with the family members, is why we said "no". Both family members ended up fine and..........life goes on.

Hedi Mitchell and Tony Page like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

8. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I went to the (no mask required) supermarket yesterday afternoon to pick up a few snack things. I've never seen the place so crowded and yet so enjoyable. Everyone seemed to have the holiday spirit and were having a good time shopping and chatting. The place was like a big, friendly, happy party. That is just one of the reasons I am glad to see Christmas and New Year come, not go.

Edit Note: We're getting our first snowfall as I am writing this and the small children next door are outdoors happily playing in it. It brings back a lot of happy memories and makes me smile.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  9. John West

Registered

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Definitely not like that here! Big mask controversy and this city isn't nearly as friendly as it use to be.

11. John West

Registered

When people fall prey to the fear peddlers, they tend to be more withdrawn, anxious and less friendly.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It doesn’t affect us much but I do feel sorry for those who buy heavily for their children and other relatives. This year is touted as being the most expensive Christmas season in the history of the United States. Many are just now getting into the groove of going back to a steady job so they might feel the crunch far more than others.

I guess that since there wasn’t much of a Christmas celebration last year, any type of celebration, no matter how meager it might be, is better than none.
    That said, even with the added expense, one could take a little solace when confronted with the fact that Christmas really isn’t about buying anything at all.

Tony Page and John West like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not everyone so-called "fall prey", they just want to stay safe. Not a thing wrong with that.

14. John West

Registered

Sorry, Cody, but the very act of trying to "stay safe" says there is some fear of being unsafe.

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Who But God could have his birthday celebrated every year by gift giving, Prays, Church, family. It happens across the globe.
    Looking forward to sharing this special warmth this time of year being with family and Friends by text, phone, internet, in person, it's magic. Try to enjoy each precious second, bath in it's glow.

Tony