Chocolate Wacky Depression Cake

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

K E Gordon and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds interesting, Joe, thanks for posting. Eggs, butter and milk are things I try never to run out of, but occasionally I'm not successful, and as the poster mentioned, there are many these days with allergies or sensitivities to some or all of those items. It sounds like an interesting recipe. I always enjoy hearing about the shortages during the war, and how things really blossomed afterwards, when suddenly, those items people had done without became prevalent again. I know the times had to be tough, but I think going through things like that builds character.

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, Diane, it's hard to imagine people today going along with rationing of any kind! I know that with my Parents and Grandparents, sacrifice was their middle name!;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't mind dairy, it's flour and sugar that I want taken out of my cakes. There are quite a few recipes but I'm not that much of a cake eater to bother.

It's the icing part I like anyway. :) When I've strayed and need something sweet I've been known to buy just a can of icing. :) My last indulgence was german chocolate cake icing. Yum.

Even in cupcakes, I eat mainly the very top layer of cake and all the frosting. At least I saved a few calories. :)

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a recipe for a cake like this in My Aunt Martha's Cookbook. I don't have an Aunt Martha, that is just the name of the cookbook, lol.I never tried making it, but my mother made something like this one time, back in the day. I think we thought it was pretty good. I think in terms of chocolate cakes, a flourless chocolate cake is my ideal. I never tried making one, but I had one once at a restaurant, that was magnificence on a plate. I think next time I am looking to make something a bit special I will try that. Thanks for posting though...one never knows when they will run out of the basics..;):p

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)I love chocolate cakes a whole lot! Thanks for the recipe and a bit of history about
    the cake. I will substitute the sugar for stevia if I do make the cake. Thanks again.

K E Gordon likes this.
  7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know, @Joe Riley ... every time I see this thread title, I think "NOOOOO! The words chocolate and depression should never be used in the same sentence!" Doesn't matter that it's a different kind of depression... chocolate is.. passion and joy... not depression. :D

I used to have the Wacky cake recipe from my auntie years ago but lost track of it and haven't thought about it for a long time now.... thanks for the recipe!

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Eggless Chocolate Cake

This might qualify as wacky. Eggless, but not dairy free. Ran out of eggs. Also had no yogurt, so I used the kefir I bought for the cat.

It is really good. Heavy. Smooth as silk. Maybe I just got lucky.

upload_2020-10-31_18-45-48.png upload_2020-10-31_18-46-5.png

Dry ingredients
    1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup of cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup yogurt (used 1 cup of kefir )
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp vanilla

Additional
    1/2 cup HOT water

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then combine. Add the hot water just before you put it in the baking pan. I used a 9" round cake pan. Cook at 350 for about 40 minutes. I mixed a little kefir with butter cream frosting and dribbled it over the cake. It gave the frosting a sweet/sour taste.

9. Nancy Hart

Registered

I just remembered another wacky chocolate cake: :p

Miracle Whip Chocolate Cake

My mother tried this once when I was a kid. Chocolate cake with Miracle Whip substituted for shortening.

[​IMG]

The recipe is still available. I can't believe it gets good ratings. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart
    This requires an explanation.

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

My cat cat got sick and wouldn't eat at all for several days. Yvonne suggested trying kefir for someone's dog that got sick here. I thought I'd try it. She (the cat) wouldn't touch it, but she recovered.. [ It was discussed in the "Trees" thread in the Diaries Forum.]

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting.

Sorry about your cat. Glad she's recovered. My dog and cat both lived to their early 20s. I can't begin to recall all the medical stuff I dealt with between the 2 of them.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Peg Bracken's Cockeyed Chocolate Cake (1960)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Origin - "The I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken, 1960. NOTE - Author Peg Bracken was a comedy and advertising writer who wrote this best-seller "for everyone, men and women alike, who wants to get from cooking hour to cocktail hour in as little time as possible." This hilarious, yet excellent, cookbook sold more 3 million copies in the 1960s.)