Childless

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Rufus Holen, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

Are any of you childless? Are you happy with that decision?
    I never wanted any children, I've been in a few meaningful relationships in my life but children have never been a goal of mine. I'm now 51 so it's not out of the question for me to try. I always enjoyed the company of my significant other rather than wanting to fill that space with a child.
    Are anyones experiences the same as mine? I know having children is not the be all and end all of life, it's just something I think about more and more as I get on. I've also considered adoption, does anyone have experience with this?

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was young, I was adamant that I never wanted children. But when I got closer to 30, I was married to the love of my life, and my biological clock was ticking louder and louder. We decided to have a child, and I'm so glad that we did. Children have a way of letting us see the world in a completely different perspective - and that changes as they get older. At first, you see the world with wonder like they do - everything is new. Then you start to see the fun and playful side - who knew that going to the movies and watching some silly cartoon was so much fun? Or playing hide and seek, jumping in puddles? Then you get to experience ethics all over again - as a new topic. And always, "Why?".

Now that my son is 25, I'm still seeing a brand new world - one that isn't quite so cynical and that is still bright and shiny - I see it through his rose-tinted glasses and remember I was like that at his age too - with my whole life spread out in front of me - and everything seemed possible.

I really miss having a child in my life - I never thought I would say that when I was younger. We've actually been thinking seriously about fostering. I'd love to know if anyone else has had any experience with the foster care system?

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Rufus, Mal is so right about the joys of raising children. I think the joys of raising children far outweigh any of the negative issues that come as well.
    My family was comprised of my three step-daughters, my two biological sons, a young boy we adopted from the Virgin Islands, and then a biracial granddaughter that I fostered for many years. I loved them all.
    When I was young, I never wanted children, because my chilhood was so terrible.
    I was married at 13, and I became a mother at 14 and 16, so maybe you can understand that I wasn't too thrilled to be a mother. But, by the time I was 17, I too began to see the world through the eyes of innocent children. I have found it to be one of the Creator's blessings.
    I don't know of your situation, but maybe you could try being a big brother to a younger boy to see if you like taking care of a child. It is not for everyone. There are so many ways to contribute to the youths of this country, and so very many that need a caring guiding hand.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Rufus Holen

Registered

Thanks for sharing,
    I think the big brother idea is wonderful Ina, a chance to experience the lifestyle without the commitment of actually raising a child. I have no doubt that having children will change your perspective on the world, I think I have a lot of care and guidance to offer. Adoption, I think, would be a better choice for me as my age is somewhat of a factor. Maybe adoption of an older child is something I could think about.
    Are there any men out there that could share their opinions?

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm now past child-bearing age and I don't have any problem with the fact that I never had children. I was married for nine years, but having a child was never part of our marriage plans.

I have two nephews and I enjoyed spending time with them when they were young, but I never envied my sister's role as mother and I never had a maternal urge.

Possibly it's because I'm the result of an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy and was born at a time when termination was not an option for people like my mother, even though she was considered middle-aged by the time I was born.

Diane Lane and Rufus Holen like this.
  6. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was growing up all I ever dreamed about was getting married and having children, but somehow Mr Right never came along and now it's too late for me to have children. As an only child I don't have any nieces or nephews either and the fact that there will be no one to continue the family line is constantly on my mind; even more so since my Dad died last year. I really feel like I've missed out on the one thing that would have brought meaning to my life.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I raised an adopted son from the age of seven, and a nephew from the age of eleven, and I have a stepdaughter whom I had no hand in raising but with whom I have much in common, but I have no biological children that I am aware of.

Rufus Holen likes this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Michelle, there is still plenty of time for you to enjoy children. Just put yourself in amongst children, and you will be amazed at how fast a child will gravitate towards you. Children can sense when they will be able to communicate with an adult. That is the child that will bring to you the love of a child.
    It is never too late to love a child, or to be loved by one. My grandchildren and great grandchildren help me see just what I still have to contribute to other people.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder, I'd love to believe what you say is true, but I don't often come into contact with people who have children, and I actually find it quite difficult to relate to those I meet now. I hope that will change in the future, but I've never been a very outgoing person and it's not easy for me to communicate with people I don't know well.

10. Ken Anderson

I guess I am legitimately old because, while I used to enjoy children, I find them to be mostly annoying these days.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Michelle and Ken:
    I admit that most of the time I find the children of today to be very spoiled, and overly coddled. Yet, if I look deeply enough I can generally see beyond the superficial layer.
    I had terrible parents. I mean I loved them, and I home cared both of them until they died in our home. But they were bad parents. They didn't see anyone else but themselves. So I guess being truely seen was something about children that I understood.
    Off and on through my adulthood, I have visited the Shriner's children hospital to take the children some books. I was there for a year from the age of nine to ten, and I remember how important the books were for me. With these children you can see a strength and innocence most of us forget about.
    You don't have to raise a child to enjoy them.

Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  12. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand what you mean. I, too, am somewhat "socially awkward", as my son's girlfriend calls it. I have a hard time meeting new people and making friends. And, as much as I love my son, and am somewhat impatiently waiting for grandchildren - other people's children don't really interest me. It's odd - because I so thoroughly enjoyed my son growing up, you would think that I would love being around other children. I think it has to do with him being "mine" (if you will). There was just a bond between us.

I've been seriously thinking about fostering a child, but I'm so afraid that the bond wouldn't be there - and I certainly wouldn't want to do any more harm to a child if things didn't work out. But raising my son was really the only time I've felt I had a strong purpose and it gave such meaning to my life.

Thank you for sharing that. I had never really thought about that, but that may be a way for me to help. I feel like I have so much love to give, but don't know if I'm really committed enough to tackle a foster child. This would allow me to "wade into the shallow end", so to speak and not get in over my head.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  13. Rufus Holen

Registered

Thanks for your input Ken,
    I also find myself annoyed by other peoples children, though wonder if my own would annoy me as much. The adopted son you have, can you elaborate on that? Seven is quite old for an adoption as far as I know, did you raise him with a partner, or were you alone?

14. Ken Anderson

I was living in California, and working for a paper company, earning more money that I needed to live on, at least for a twenty year-old with no real vices. A couple of doors down from me was a woman, also from Michigan, who had three kids. We would say hi to one another if we met on the way in or out of our apartments, and had had breakfast a couple of times, but we didn't otherwise know one another well, except that I had taken her two sons to an Angels game once.

Early one summer, she asked if I could take care of her youngest son for a week or two because she had to go back to Michigan for something. Her older son and daughter would be staying with friends. I said yes, and he did. After a couple of weeks, she called to say that she would be away longer than she thought. That stretched into seven months and, by then, her older son was staying with me too, because the family he was staying with couldn't keep him indefinitely.

By the time she came back, summer had gone, and her sons had started back to school. I had bought them everything that they needed for school. She came back with a boyfriend, who was a very large man. Of course, her kids went back to live with her, except for her daughter who, for some reason, remained at her friend's house.

Of course, I would come across the kids often, and they'd come over to play my Atari. Her younger son was telling me some pretty awful things about the boyfriend but I wasn't sure, at first, whether they were as bad as he said, or whether he simply wanted to come back to live with me. Then I came home from work one day to find him standing outside their apartment door in diapers, with a sign around his neck that read, I AM A BABY.

I still didn't know what to do. I wasn't even twenty yet, I was single, and not related to them in any way. My hair was down to the middle of my back, and I wasn't thinking of being a father to anyone. I did make an appointment to see an attorney, in order to find out what options there were, short of simply calling the police, which could have been as likely to make things worse as better.

The first lawyer I spoke to was one who had his name on the door. He began by telling me that custody was out of the question, given everything that I already knew. I told him that I understood that but that I couldn't just walk away, and would pay to have someone represent him in whatever might bring about a better outcome. He made an appointment for me to meet with one of the junior members of the firm.

I had been in touch with the boy's sister, leaving names out of this intentionally, who was seventeen by then. She came with me to see the attorney, since he had suggested it when I had mentioned her during a telephone conversation. She had been in the apartment when some of these things were going on since, while she no longer lived with her mother, she visited often.

One of the first things the lawyer asked me was whether I would consider custody.

"Do you think it's possible?"

"I don't see why not. If he's going to live with a stranger, it may as well be with someone he knows."

I agreed, and we signed the papers. To my surprise, he suggested that I find a place to live in another nearby city, and that I take him. He would handle everything with the police, and he assured me that there would be no kidnapping charges. This didn't happen during the same meeting, and he had probably run a background check on me during the interim, although he didn't mention it. He said that the only way that a judge would find that I had standing in a custody case was if he was living with me. It helped that I also had paperwork that his mother had signed when she had left him with me, which did not specify an end date.

Within a few days, I had found another place and he moved out with me. At my lawyer's suggestion, I used a post office box in my previous city, and did not change my address through my employer. Then there was the problem of enrolling him in a new school. I wrote to the Michigan Department of Statistics, sent them $7 for a copy of his birth certificate, and they mailed it to my post office box. I didn't even have to pretend to be anyone who I wasn't. Some things were so much easier in those days.

He was in school, and I changed my shifts so that I was working while he was in school, and home when he was at home, all but a couple of hours. Nothing else happened for a few months. Then I received a call, at work, from the police department in the city where his mother lived. They asked me if the boy was living with me. I told them, as instructed, that I would need to speak to my attorney first.

I did and when they called back, I told them that on the advice of my attorney, I wasn't going to tell them where he was. You can believe that was uncomfortable but I gave them my attorney's name and number and he apparently handled it.

He also made the calls to child protective services. They were opposed to my having custody, but did remove her other son, who did not want to live with me, from the home, and were seeking to sever the mother's custody, in favor of a foster home. Meanwhile, my lawyer made arrangements for me to attend the classes necessary to become a foster parent.

These classes were particularly frustrating because different people would conduct them, and each of of them would tell me that a single male was not eligible to become a foster parent. I would call my attorney, and they'd be nice to me the next time I came in, and I was licensed as a foster parent.

Meanwhile, my attorney was trying to get us into court for a custody hearing. Eight times, a hearing was scheduled. Family court cases were all scheduled for 7:30 in the morning, although any specific hearing might not take place until 4:00 p.m. My lawyer and I would sit in the lunchroom of the courthouse all day and I'm thinking, at $60 an hour, this isn't going to be cheap. The first seven times, hearings were scheduled but we were not allowed in, as the judge ruled that I did not have standing.

His mother had a pro bono attorney, who seemed to be a different person each time. The eighth time, when we arrived at 7:30 in the morning, my lawyer said that we would be in this time, and we were later that day. He had gone to law school with the assistant district attorney, and he was there as well, on my side.

When we got into court, I learned that, by that time, his mother had given up trying to retain custody of her children herself but wanted to ensure that her son would not be placed with me. Of course, she was angry with me.

Someone from child protective services took the stand and recommended foster home placement, but not with me, given the enmity between myself and the boy's mother. They did recommend that I have visiting privileges, however, with the possibility of placing him with me at some later date.

Although he had spoken to my (later to be) son for only a few minutes just that morning, the assistant district attorney sounded as if he had done a detailed study of the situation, and felt that I would be the best placement for him.

I got on the stand and my attorney asked me a bunch of questions designed to make me look good. Then his mother's attorney, for some reason, asked me a bunch of questions that seemed designed to make me look good. When he returned to the table, his client said something to him that I couldn't hear. He said something back that I couldn't hear, and she knocked his clipboard off the table and stormed out of the room, slamming the door.

The judge said, "I think we've heard enough."

He severed the mother's rights to her children. By then, my attorney had tracked down his father, who hadn't been in touch with his children since they were babies, and he had signed off his rights to the children. The judge ruled that he be placed with me as a foster child, under the supervision of child protective services, for one year, at which time I could petition the court for adoption. Which is what we did.

Although they had protested my being a foster parent, once I had the license, they were calling me all the time to take in children for short-term placement, mostly of kids whose parents might have been arrested or killed. Although I wasn't told the circumstances, the kids usually spoke of it. These were generally weekend placements, and they would move them somewhere else on Monday or Tuesday, although one was with me for nearly a year. I had, by then, moved to a duplex, where the other renter was also a foster parent, so we watched out for one another. Although I could usually choose the shift I wanted, there were times when I had to work while my son was home, and she'd watch out for him, and vice versa.

When I received the bill from my attorney, it was several pages long, and included research as well as every telephone call that he had made. After nearly every charge he had noted, "No Charge." For the entire thing, he billed me only for the forty-five minutes that we were actually in family court, and for one other meeting that we had with some of the people from child protective services. Eight days, he had spent the whole day in the courthouse cafeteria with me, and he didn't charge me for any of this. He did do some other work while he was there, but he was there the whole time because no one would ever know when their hearing would be called.

15. Rufus Holen

Registered

Wow Ken, what a story! And a fantastic thing you did to interrupt your life to take care of someone elses. I can hardly imagine doing this now, let alone when I was in my 20s.
    I know there must be a great need for people like you and I'm happy to know there are people out there like you who put themselves and their futures on the line for these kids. I these kids were pretty lucky to have met you, it inspires me to do something great like this also!
    Thanks for sharing such an in depth and touching story, you've really made an impact on me.

Ken Anderson and Allie Seay like this.