Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Martin Alonzo, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Child hood memories when I was about 17 years old living in the countryside in Canada. I had a trap line which I would trap muskrats and raccoons. The raccoons where mostly by accident but the muskrats is what I was after. Catching the rats and then skinning them putting them on stretcher to dry. When I had quite a few I would take them to a buyer he would grade them and pay me. My mother said one year that she would like a stole so I gathered up a few found out where to send them for tanning. They said they could not accept them until I had paid the royalties to the queen before they can handle them. After they were tanned we went to the local furrier to have the stole made it turned out so well that people wanted to buy it from the furrier before my mother got it. This is part of my memories that had left until my children stated asking about different animals like raccoons and it all came back. I am one of the luckiest I know with what I have done in my life and the opportunities that my children will never have. What child hood memories that you have forgotten and what would it take to bring them back?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Martin, I did something similar to you while in high school. I had a job after school, so I paired up with a buddy to run a trap line in the hours before school. I would get up around 04:30 every morning, and I was at my friend's house by ~5:15 (He lived about 1 1/2 miles from my house). He always had hot oatmeal ready when I got there, so we scarfed down breakfast and headed for the trap line. We, too, were trying for muskrats, and got quite a number. We stretched them, dried them and stored them in my friend's garage. Shortly before we were ready to take them to the buyer, his dog got into the garage and destroyed every one of the hides. An entire winter's work gone. I had long days in high school, as we had the trap line, then went to school followed by 4 hours of work at a local hotel after school. I would squeeze in the homework around everything else. I remember high school as a time when I was always active and always exhausted.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I also had experiences trapping muskrats, but I have already told my story in another thread.