Chia Seeds For Fiber, Omega 3, And Other Necessary Minerals

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have just discovered Golden Chia Pudding, and it is SO delicious, low-carb, high-fiber, and very filling. It makes a great breakfast, or evening snack.
    Just one ounce of chia seeds has 12 carbs, and 11 grams of that is FIBER, so it is an awesome way to get fiber, while having almost NO carbs. It also has 4 grams of protein , which is substantial for only a couple spoonfuls of seeds.
    Chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods that you can eat, and they could not be simpler to prepare. I am including a video that explains how to make the Golden Chia Pudding; but there are lots of other delicious ways to use chia as well.
    Just look up chia pudding on youtube for a zillion more good ideas.
    Chia seeds swell up in liquids, and thicken into a pudding along with whatever other ingredients you add to the pudding.
    This recipe has turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom (all are anti-inflammatory), and you can make it with regular milk or almond milk if you prefer. I made mine with a mixture of almond milk and regular milk, plus a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
    You can also add other flavorings, like cocoa, fruits, or flavor extracts. The chia seeds are very mild tasting, so your pudding tastes like whatever else you add into it.
    I also use coconut oil every day because it is a great anti-inflammatory, and I did it to the pudding when it is warm and then blend it for a bit to mix in the coconut oil.

I know that you are taking a vacation, @Chrissy Cross ; but I hope that you are reading this post because you would like chia pudding much better than the “twigs” that you have for breakfast, and it is even better for you.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband sprinkles chia seeds in his protein drinks..and or his salads...

I'd eat that pudding because I really need some anti inflammatory foods..except I can't tolerate almonds or coconut milk...nor do I like the taste of ginger..

I do have turmeric Golden paste in the house tho'

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you look up chia and chia pudding on youtube, there are lots of ideas for making it. You can use regular milk. I used almond milk because it is lower in carbs than regular milk, and I am a very carb-sensitive person.
    I didn’t really taste much ginger, @Holly Saunders , especially when you are adding lots of cinnamon and cardamom, and you could start with just a tiny bit or even leave the gingerout at first.
    You can add chocolate, or just about any fruit that you like the flavor of; and I remember seeing some videos for chocolate chia pudding.

I thinkthatit does not matter a whole lot what you put the chia seeds in, as long as you add them to something that tastes good to you, so that you enjoy eating or drinking it. A lot of people use chia to thicken up a protein shake, and that is what Bobby doessometimeswhen he is making his morning protein drink.
    We have a mix based on Barlean’s product that has chia, flax and coconut in it, and Bobby likes some of that in his shake.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I read this when you posted it @Yvonne Smith and tried it with coconut Almond milk. I just stared buying the coconut Almond milk recently and I love it...much better than the unsweetened vanilla one. It's only 40 calories as opposed to 30.

I didn't add tumeric though but it was delicious!

Yvonne Smith likes this.