Chexit

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Corie Henson, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In the same vein as BRExit which means Britain to exit from EU, CHExit means China Exit from the West Philippine sea a.k.a. South China Sea. The disputed islands in the area are the Spratlys in the south and the Paracels in the north and Scarborough Shoal in the eastern part. All those islands are situated in the 200-mile economic zone of the Philippines.

Today, July 12 is the expected date when the decision of the UN court will be known - the case of China usurping its authority on the disputed islands. Other claimants are Vietnam, Brunei and I think Malaysia as well. However, even when the case was still to be heard by the UN court, China had already issued a statement that they will not recognize, much more abide with whatever decision the UN court would come up with.

I am posting this thread because the US is directly related to this issue. A political analyst said that in case of aggression by China, the Philippines will surely depend on the US for military support.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The Philippines were extremely important to the effort to end WW-II. The USS Indianapolis, which sailed from San Francisco to Tinian Island with only a small metal box as cargo, delivered the bomb core for the Hiroshima effort. The Captain was told to value that box, welded to the ship's deck, above and beyond both his ship and crew! No doubt he was skeptical, but got the job done. The big SNAFU occurred after delivery of the box: no orders were sent to him regarding where to proceed next. Having no orders, he headed for the Philippines, was torpedoed by the Japanese, and about 1200 men were lost, in a horrible example of wartime "top secrecy" vs. common sense. The story of the crew's plight floating in the water, supported by life jackets, is absolutely heart-rending. See, nobody knew of Indianapolis' plight: she had been on an extremely secret mission, then was forgotten about.

The floating survivors of the sinking were not being searched for. As sharks chewed off their legs, they gradually turned upside down, as gravity took over; many died this way. I am shaking and near tears as I again picture this, as I was when I read first of it, in Rhodes' excellent book, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb".

Frank

3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

So many changes with many consequences. I am not sure we can adequately predict how these changes will effect the US let alone the countries directly involved. This is new territory.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Dear Lord Corie, this sounds potentially extremely serious....talk of military protection if China takes an aggressive stance.... How likely do you think this might be?

5. Corie Henson

Registered

Last night was the big news that the UN court had declared that China's claim to the disputed islands is not legal. There was jubilation and there's even a group that let loose hundreds of balloons for a sort of celebration. But the big question now is what's next. How do we enforce that court decision? China had already built 2 runways in 2 islands, they also have structures in the contested shoal that is nearest the Philippine shores. There were instances that Chinese military in the islands warned one US warship passing by that area. Clearly, China is establishing itself as authority to those island groups.

@Holly Saunders, I'm sure that America will be involved if war breaks out because of that islands issue. I don't think China has the firepower to match the US military might but they, on the other hand, have an unlimited army force. But there is a greater possibility that the hype will die down and status quo will remain.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm how about charging China rent money for building on the island? I guess it's more complicated than renting an apt...but it will preserve the peace and well everyone gets what they need too. It's is something to ask about in polls and see what the Philippines thinks about the idea of renting parts of the island to China?

Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

China just seems to want to dominate everybody and everything in the region. Unfortunately, they are so big, and wield so much power, that it seems
    like no one can really reign them in. Our economy in part relies on cheap Chinese exports, and a careful balance always has to be struck with them. as if we start to play "hard ball" with China, they may in turn wreak havoc on our economy. It is like an uneasy codependency. Maybe Kristina has a point?

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

NOT RACIST, OK?

When I was a kid in school, maybe 10, word went around that if every Chinese person were given a flyswatter, China could conquer the whole world! I think the idea stemmed from news gradually "seeping out" about the "communes" being operated in China then.

Frank

9. Corie Henson

Registered

There's a joke here that our country would experience the greatest flood when the Chinese would all come to the Philippines and urinate all at the same time. There was a time when China published that their army is 50 million strong. Gee, that's the population of our country during that time. In terms of number, no country can beat China.

Once called the sleeping giant, China was predicted by Nostradamus to wake up someday and be the Anti-Christ. And maybe the time is ripe because with the recent decision of the UN court declaring illegal the reclamation by China of some islands in the disputed area in South China sea, the behemoth is up against the world opinion. I just cannot say where it's going to lead to.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That does sound like a reasonable idea @Krissttina Isobe (renting parts of the island to China), but it seems they probably aren't looking to rent it, but rather expand their territory by claiming it. I'd be interested to hear what their reply to the proposition would be, though.

Re: a challenge to China affecting our economy, I agree with that. I think it's way past time to rebuild our country and become less dependent on other nations, especially those that aren't our allies.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  11. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:)Hmm, maybe leasing the portions of the island then...? Well it depends on what the Philippines want to do with their land though.

12. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for that piece of history Frank! I am always interested in learnings and lessons about the past wars from people who have first hand knowledge with them. I used to research and wrote things about soldiers and wars for a client who was an Archivist/Genealogist and own websites about finding military records and family ancestries.Tons of readings and research and I become an expert of sorts on how military records were obtained from different archives across the world.Very long and intricate process but very rewarding to help people searching for their families, records and documentations.

13. Corie Henson

Registered

The latest in the issue of CHEXIT is that China had expressed willingness in having bilateral talks with the Philippines. And our president is amenable to that although there are no details yet of the possible agenda. But the talks will center on the disputed islands also being claimed by other Southeast Asian countries like Vietnam and Brunei (and some others).

@Krissttina Isobe, that's a good idea but I doubt if China would agree to that. There is a suggestion to co-manage the islands as a tourist destination since there is already a runway built by China on one of the islands. I think that is a good idea if those islands would be converted into a sort of corporation to be owned by all the claimant countries. The only problem is China, if it would agree.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  14. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:)The United Nations welcomes the world and could be the place to solve such situations. Hope this helps.

Corie Henson likes this.
  15. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope and pray China will be true to their words about opening bilateral talks with PH as well as UN and all the Asean nations with valid claims on that region. I would like to dwell my thinking on the positives that the West Philippine Sea (though it has been ruled that there really was no such area as South China Sea as per history was concerned) is an international route of sea voyage accessible to the world like how Indian Ocean, Suez Canal and the Strait of Gibraltar are. That no country should restrict but instead open the region as access point for safe voyage and world commerce to flourish.

Corie Henson likes this.