Check Engine Light -- Now Very Nasty!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The CEL, or more correctly, MIL, Malfunction Indicator Light" in cars has been given unprecedented power over our vehicles. My latest episode? "Forced Engine Idle". Start up, idles, push gas pedal, nothing. Will go into gear, but only creep along at idle. Why did it happen?

I disconnected the ABS Module (Anti-Lock Brake System), to see if that might defeat the string of problems two months long. It did not. So, I deleted the Forced Engine Idle code. That gave me usability back, but a constant ABS light on, even though the ABS is functioning. It's there because the used Module I bought does not have my vehicle's VIN number in it. Ready to drive as long as the danged computer allows it, with that light on, I took it for a spin, 5 miles, got the "CEL" on, which NEVER happened during the ABS fiasco. Codes thrown were "Oxygen Sensor Heater Resistance", Bank 1 Position 1, and (same) for Bank 2. Now, there was something I understand! Resistance, Current, and Voltage! Yanked out all 4 Oxygen Sensors, there's 153,000 miles on them, anyway, measured their heater resistance (book spec 3 to 30 Ohms). Front: both 9 Ohms, Rear: Both 5 Ohms. Acceptable readings. Now what? Ordered 4 new sensors, got them today. Installed, got back numerous cuts and bruises fighting the connectors, inaccessible as could be, went in side, checked SOF, told wife I'm taking it for a spin.

Drove about 10 miles, no CEL! Begorrah! Wary of that ABS light, though........Told her tomorrow we drive it to Laughlin. She said have a safe trip! Wants to be available if it maroons me with "Forced Engine Shutdown"!

I've spent under $500 on parts trying to solve this thing's whims; estimated Dealer repair price for the "fix" is $800 for new ABS Module, about $500 labor. If they're honest. If they don't conjure up problems needing fixed whereby one has no means of second-guessing them. No help even from a Lawyer!

Frank

Joe Riley, Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Hats off to the Mrs. because I would do the same, stay put but not for the possible incoming call for help. I hate the thought of being marooned or stranded.

So @Frank Sanoica, did you make the drive?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I sometimes long for the day when things were simpler. Hope you got the problem solved. I had the dreaded Check Engine Light last year, but had the plugs and wires changed, and it finally cleared out, after a few tries. My car just passed inspection yesterday, yay.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I drove alone about 10 miles, we are getting ready to leave right now, still no word from the General! (I hate eating alone in a restaurant!).
    Frank

Von Jones and Joe Riley like this.