Chapter 3 - Embarrassment

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Maisie Walker, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Maisie Walker

Maisie Walker Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It did used to get rather lonely at times because I had none of my family living near me so I felt rather like an alien stuck in foreign territory with being the only Londoner among village folk but my in-laws dog who lived a few doors away found out where I lived and became a daily visitor. “Prince” was becoming very attached to me and although he was getting on in life he trusted me to give him bath in the old kitchen sink and brush his coat well to get any knots out of it.
    It helped to give me a bit of confidence in myself because as I said I felt like an intruder even when I went to the “Star Stores” to get our rations. Once we had registered with the store we had to stop with them unless we moved to a different town or vicinity and re-register at another store. Even this was vetted by the authorities in case someone was trying to get extra rations.

Money was very tight for us because women did not get maternity pay as they do today so we were very often broke by the time Friday came round which was pay day. If I had about 3 shillings left by Thursday I thought I was a millionaire.

It was 1950 and during August of that year the weather had turned very warm and sultry. Like most women who are pregnant with their cravings I had a yearning for a nice glass of cool shandy.
    I had been frugal with eking my meals out and I had 2 shillings and sixpence or half a crown as it was known as then left which would buy us a shandy.
    Some may rightly say why not get one from the pub opposite which would have been easier in some respects BUT as it was SO hot that day and I needed some exercise I felt like a walk out.

As luck would have it hubby was on the early shift and when he had finished his ablutions, had his dinner and had a rest it was about 7pm. We decided to go for a nice stroll out and what little bit of money we had to spare we would buy a shandy with it and then have a nice walk back home.

It was a pleasant walk round the village and we finished up at the "Blue Ball" public house both dying for the cool shandy we had promised ourselves.
    There wasn’t a soul in the lounge as we walked in and we had the room to ourselves. There was a piano in there and I asked the landlady if I could get on it for half an hour. She was only to pleased to know that someone had decided to play it so I proceeded to play any and everything of that era mainly for my own pleasure.
    It had been some time since I had played one and anyone who has read my previous ramblings will know that my family had acquired a piano by the time I had finally come out of the home I had been in.The piano survived the bombing because it finished up in the pub cellar.
    I sat for hours playing it as a child and picked up many tunes and taught myself to vamp in time with my right hand.
    I was definitely NO Winnie Atwell but I did play quite well, or so I had been told.
    I cannot read a note of music. My playing was strictly by listening to the music and memorising the notes.

To get back to my tale.
    In no time at all the lounge filled up with people and I was surprised when I glanced round over my shoulder and could see so many folk who appeared from nowhere.
    Then the singing started and if ever you have had the experience of playing a pub piano with a many folk enjoying themselves singing their heads off you would have felt as I did while knocking the tunes out one by one. A very enjoyable time.
    At 9-30pm I decided it was time I finished and went home. I went to pull the lid down over the piano keys but a hand came across and stopped me.

A load of Cliff’s old mates had walked in and they were not going to let us go without having a few more songs and wanting to buy us another drink. I did not want anymore because my craving had been sated with the shandy I had quenched my thirst with.
    Hubby did not want any more to drink so he just enjoyed a chat with his mates while I carried on playing. The crowd were enjoying it and I thought it would do my husband good to have a chinwag with his old friends.

It came to closing time and I started playing "Who’s taking you home tonight?" just to make folks realise that it really WAS the last tune. When I finished I closed the piano lid and before I could get out of the chair I nearly died when a hat full of money was tipped into my lap.

Cliff's mates had gone round collecting money for the pianist as they said.
    It was one of THE MOST embarrassing moments of my life.

I had not gone on the piano to collect money from anyone and it was totally unexpected. I did it for my own pleasure and for others who came in to join in the singsong although I wasn’t expecting anyone in because it was SUCH a warm humid evening.
    The look of shock horror must have shown as I looked down at my lap to see this pile of silver that had been put there. My face was as red as a beetroot and then the clapping started from the customers.
    Boy! if the ground could have opened up and swallowed me at that moment I would have welcomed it.

The landlady came and thanked me and said not only was it one of the best evenings that she and her customers had enjoyed for some time and the takings had shot up and she could not thank me enough. She even asked me if I wanted a job there permanently as the resident piano player.
    I pointed to my tummy and said that I did not think it would be possible with what I had in store.

I was still feeling very embarrassed about it as we said our farewell.
    I felt worse than ever when I got home and counted out £8-7s-5d which in those days was more than some chaps earned in a week.
    I never played in a pub again for that reason. I felt as though I had been begging.

Daft to feel like that I know but it still gives me a guilt complex about it even now..

That incident DID help break the ice with the locals and when I used to go to the store to get my rations I very often had folks stopping to have a chat with me. I was accepted at last.

The money did come in useful though to help pay off the rest of the money on my baby’s new perambulator I had ordered that I was paying weekly for.
    NO it wasn’t a Silver Cross one because I did not like them. To me they were all wheels and not much room for a baby because the body of the pram had no depth to it.

Maryt Hope and Bill Boggs like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Now I'd have loved that Maisie - playing the Joanna for a living - Bliss !
    It was lovely they had a whip round for you, they appreciated yer efforts - no shame there

3. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

You are a talented writer , Maisie Walker !

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

She certainly is
    I've just opened your book which I received today - quick arrival !
    Just had a glance at it and liked the pictures, I know I'm gonna enjoy the read :)

5. Maisie Walker

Maisie Walker Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks ladies but I have never written anything in my life excepting the true tales that have happened to me. I would be hopeless at fiction. I would lose the plot.
    I hope you enjoy the read Patsy.
    When the book was first published I had the local paper contact me and then I had invitations to give talks to schools and various venues. From that the TV contacted me. At the age of 75 as I was then life was all go.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Well done. I'm sure the people at the pub enjoyed a bright spot in what must have been a dreary time.