Chaos And Fighting At Fort Lauderdale Airport

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, May 9, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't flown in more than a decade. After 2001, the experience went from being almost a pleasure to something approaching a nightmare of tension and frustration. I can fully understand people getting upset in an airport these days, and I do feel that unless the airlines can find a way to treat people with more respect, things are going to get worse. That doesn't mean that I support someone thrashing the place, but that's why I'd rather hitchhike across the country than fly these days.

The last time I flew, we had booked our tickets well in advance, and were there on time. They had overbooked the flight from New York to Florida, and bumped us. Once we were bumped, we were ignored in every flight leaving after that. They would tell us to have a seat, and hours later, we were still sitting. After waiting in line for about the fifth time, one of women at the counter said, "Well, you can't expect to get the flight you want when you're flying standby." We weren't flying standby, certainly hadn't paid for standby, and I would think that after being bumped from one flight, they would make sure we got on the next one. We did have to get rude in order to finally get on a plane out of New York because politeness and patience wasn't getting us anywhere.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

last time i flew the carpet was held together with electrical tape

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have nothing against policeman I said the police state these are the people who control the police. These are the people who tell police to stand down when Trump people are being beaten up or a protest against free speech.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Even some 70 year olds can be disruptive. Just don't start, or be a part of, a "riot" type scene and a person is fine. A person also has to watch their anger today, especially towards law enforcement.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yes just because you're a senior doesn't mean you're a saint..agreed... ...but that poor guy had only been sitting in the seat he paid for, he'd done nothing wrong....no-one needed to beat him up to take his seat away from him

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Like some keep saying, really would have had to be at the scene to really know what happened.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It was all captured on Video...

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Every bit of it? Most of the time, video taken isn't completely the way it happened. Some folks love getting video of law enforcement doing something to someone, but not get what that "someone" said and/or did to an officer or officers. I've read about that happening quite often.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just read the entire story and still think law enforcement done the right thing. We just may have two somewhat different personalities when it comes to things like this. I think law enforcement has a job to do and one of them is controlling stubborn people that are "out of control". It's not an easy job they have. When I was an EMT, I was taught how to subdue a patient in the back of a Unit, so not to hurt me or themselves, Ask Ken Anderson about this.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I still say none of it would have happened if he had gotten off the plane when he was asked to...he resisted. Wether you have a paid for seat or not, you can be asked to leave the plane. Those are the rules.

There's more than one video and no one person captured the whole thing. I saw videos from different people...also different passengers said different things.

When I first saw the story I thought poor man but then I started seeing more videos and different views from what it looked like at first.

Still don't know the whole story except that he got a lot of money from United.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I read about another incident at an airport, seems they have one very day somewhere ...I think people are looking for a quick buck sometimes or on flights they're drunk.

I do want to add that the security officers that were called also handled it wrong and I think a couple of them were fired.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Being drunk on a plane should never be allowed to happen
    The man we are discussing was very slight in build, I feel the situation could have been handled a 'lot' better

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It does seem like more and more, defaulting to violence when something goes wrong, is what happens. It is not just at the airlines, although that has hit the mainstream news more than other problems like this happen.
    We have all seen reports of times when the police ended up shooting , or even beating up a person, when the situation could have been handled without killing or harming someone.
    The other side of that is we have also seen people who are deliberately disobeying laws or just acting violently with the police and the law enforcement has no other option than to deal with them forcefully.
    While I totally agree that I would have been extremely upset if I had bought a ticket and then been told I had to leave the airplane, I would never have been so dumb as to let the situation get to the point where they had to call in security to force me off of the flight, either.
    I don't think that the airlines did right with how they handled this situation at all; but at the same time, the passenger brought some of the abuse upon himself by not cooperating after the security people had been brought in. By that time, he had to know that he would be removed from the flight, one way or another, and he could have gone along with the officers, and then dealt with the airlines once he was off the plane.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Way to many people simply don't want to cooperate with law enforcement and that's when the real trouble starts. We've watched the tv show, LIVE PD, and see that non-cooperation a number of times. When people are hammering on counters with their fists and yelling profanity words and law enforcement gives them the command to stop, and they don't, it's "restraining/arresting" time.

15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

True Yvonne but, the airline wanted crew members to have his seats, I think the passenger should come first

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.