Chaos And Fighting At Fort Lauderdale Airport

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, May 9, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

...as some passengers attack police and security officers over missed flights...

Furious passengers lashed out at police, were thrown to the floor and arrested during chaotic scenes at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

Several people were detained during ugly confrontations with law enforcement when 11 Spirit Airlines flights were cancelled and 26 were delayed at the Florida hub on Monday night.

The group of passengers who clashed with cops were angry because the last-minute disruptions meant they would miss a graduation ceremony.

A mob of irate customers began beating the counters and screaming at staff, prompting airline employees to call the police.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-arrested-fights-airport.html#ixzz4gau1QHqi

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

How times have changed :rolleyes:
    You've reminded me of a story a couple of weeks back, where staff dragged that poor man along the gangway
    'cos they wanted his seat !
    Violence seems to be the 'first' reaction today

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the police state. Stand in line don't tell the truth like I do not have a gun or bomb. Do not complain just be a good little robot. If you step out of line we have some big police to throw you to the ground and saying we are only doing our jobs. It is sad just how much people have learn to accept.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very, and I do mean "very", pro-law enforcement, but do know there are bad cops, but overall, most are darn good. The way I see it, a person pretty much has to "be there" to see what actually happened. When people get "out of hand", law enforcement is called in. That is part of law enforcement's job......settle down people and detain those that cause problems with officers. Sometimes people will fight (resist) arrest, or officers commands, and then the officers have to handle that.

5. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

ill fly with the military if they let me. other than that......................

Tim Burr and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree @Cody Fousnaugh, you have to be there to know what really happened and even then sometimes it's difficult.

Looking at videos on other sources..to me it looks like a few passengers started the whole thing. Could be some people are trying to cash in on lawsuits like that one passenger did from United.

Yes, he was roughly handled but he should have gotten off the plane when told to...overbooking is a fact with airlines so it's not a surprise to me ever.

Although I probably will never be bumped from a flight, I always have a back up plan.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There's more to that story than meets the eye...also, it wasn't staff dragging him off the plane, it was security officers from O'Hare.

In some videos I've seen he he got most of his injuries when he hit a seat or something..I'd have to find the video because I'm not sure.

He also had a sleazy past which doesn't mean he should be banged around but who knows what his motives are/were.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Still at the staff's request Chrissy
    Also, I've seen the footage and yes he did bang his head as he was dragged along
    They wouldn't have known his past, they just wanted his seat !
    I thought the whole fiasco was shocking and the announcement from the airline afterwards left a lot to be desired
    Bad ............

@Chrissy Cross

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I wasn't saying that he was dragged off the plane because of his past...

He should have gotten off the plane peacefully and complained then. Yes, the airline was wrong in the way it handled the situation but the man wasn't totally in the right either.

I'm sure many passengers on that flight missed their connection because of the whole fiasco.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

I wouldn't have got off the plane - he had his ticket paid for and is entitled to be taken to his destination
    They did handle the whole situation badly

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's not true, having a ticket doesn't guarantee you a seat...overbooking is legal and it's done all the time. You'll get to your destination..eventually.

I know about it so I take all precautions to make sure I'm not bumped off my flight...well, everything I can do because it still can happen.

All this asking for volunteers usually happens at the gate though...Ive been on many flights where I'm praying that someone volunteers to get off that flight and they usually get enough volunteers.

There are people that do that just for racking up vouchers and cash.

Almost every flight I've taken in the last few years is overbooked and all are filled to capacity.

Yes, United handled the situation badly and that's why they settled for a huge amt out of court with him.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Doesn't make it right - if that's how they treat their customers they need to re - think their methods

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Nobody likes it, @Patsy Faye ...I don't but that's the way it is with most airlines in the states. Plus they're always full.

All the times I've flown Ive never seen anything like what happened with United. People volunteer and that's it...no scenes.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just picturing meself being dragged off the plane :p :mad::p

15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Unfortunately it is true that even if you buy a ticket you're still not entitled to fly ..shocking but true...however regardless of this mans' past, I totally agree with you Patsy, they handled that situation absolutely disgracefully...and the poor guy is almost 70 years old. Shame on them...absolute shame on them!!