Chainsaws For Seniors

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Faye Fox, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When I saw the title 'Chainsaws for Seniors' I wondered if they came with a goalie mask.:rolleyes:

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a couple of gas-powered chainsaws, a Craftsman, and a Stihl. The Stihl cuts easier than the Craftsman unless I'm cutting softwood, in which case either of them will do just fine. However, the Craftsman is a lot easier to start, while the Stihl gives me problems even after I have had it serviced. When I can chop a tree down with an axe in less time than it takes me to start the damned chainsaw, I have a problem with it.

I have also had a couple of wired electric chainsaws and a battery-operated one. I lent one of the wired ones to a friend and he brought it back broken. Of course, the wired ones are only good for things that I am cutting in my backyard. Periodically, I like to make some small clearings in my land up north since that's good for the wildlife, or might want to thin the woods out in places. If I can get the things started, the gas-powered ones are best, as I have to bring several charged batteries with me if I am going to be cutting multiple trees with the battery-operated saw. I also bring an axe along as a backup, since I really hate driving for three hours only to have my chainsaw let me down.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have two Craftsman chainsaws, one of which is quite old and I now only use it if I have to fly into a remote location in a small plane, which isn't often. I also have a large Husqvarna chainsaw which is so large and heavy that I now only use it for jobs that the others won't handle, and I have a small Dewalt chainsaw that I use for small, spur-of-the-moment things that don't require long use, e.g., over about 45 minutes. I tried to get a Stihl on @Faye Fox's recommendation, but discovered that smaller ones are not available in this part of Alaska. Only the large, professional models are sold here and I didn't want of need anything like that. I use my Craftsman 18-inch bar for most things now, and it satisfies my needs pretty well.

4. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was working small engine since 2009 and until about 5 years ago. We were doing all the warranty work for lawn and garden and home gas powered tools from Lowe's, Tractor supply and others. The chain saws are very sensitive due to the metering and carb adjustment. The slightest amount of moisture in the carb usually makes one hard to start. The carbs are so numerous and many times someone might install the wrong kit or turn the internals upside down facing the wrong way. You have tiny filters made of metal and they can clog very fast. I saw some real junk during my time working on the stuff. One of my favorites was the pressure washers that use all plastic internals, you can imagine how long that last since water does not compress ;0) they had a habit of blowing check valves thru the meter seats. They were throw away pressure washers... Another favorite was the Honda engine lawn mowers with the valve cover at the front of the mower. You know how you run your mower into things and up and under places. If you shove that valve cover hard enough and cause a dent the cover stops the valves from operating properly. It also uses a plastic timing belt internally. They are repairable but I saw a few that the timing gears moved on the shaft and you can't see any signs of movement, but it is just enough to keep it from starting. I spent an entire year working on all the generators that were brought in after that hurricane in 2008. We had a huge lumber yard barn that all the equipment was stored. There was about a hundred generators stored for a year. Be weary of Briggs they are the worst company to cover any warranty. Honda is good when it comes to warranty.

My 40 year old Truck and My shop Helpers

975.jpg 1336.jpg

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd love to hug that little kitty,so sweet.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder how many clicks on this video is for the chainsaw? :rolleyes::D

Nancy Hart and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

She looks Corn Fed so no problem for her to handle that saw, a hard starting problem might cause a problem even for the biggest and strongest person. No one wants to stand there yanking on a little rope all day and have the saw tease you all day. Of all the things I have worked on chainsaws are not my favorite. Every manufacturer has a non commercially sold fuel metering adjusting tool and you have to pay pretty big money to get your hands on the right one.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.