Cbs: Nancy Drew

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

CBS is planning a Nancy Drew series and, reportedly, they are looking at any ethnicity other than white for the main character. I don't much care who is cast in what, but the situation we're in today just floors me, where it is seemingly okay to be openly racist as long as the victims of racism are white. Although it's clear that "Nancy Drew" has always been white, I wouldn't care if they decided to cast someone of another ethnicity in the role but to rule out white actresses based on nothing but the color of their skin is just so wrong.

Would any television series have a chance of making it into production if the producers stated out front that black actors need not apply, or that they would not consider casting a Muslim? Instead, it's perfectly okay, today, for a business to put up a sign that basically says, "No Whites Allowed."

Link

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh... oh. Don't get me going on this one. Pretty please? Too late... okay, here are my feelings. I think... no, I know you're right. Racism against white people is fine and dandy and the {gag} "in thing" to do. You're also right about any casting call that would do that to other races would be all over the news and social media and ground into the dirt real fast.

To take it a step further, it's exactly (in my eyes, at least) the same as Christian bashing. It's oooooh, so "popular" to bash Christians, but can you even *imagine* the backlash if the same (no matter what it is) was said about Muslims?

Sure the people doing the casting have *ideas* about what they want for the lead roles, but they never made a big ugly point about making it known to the masses before! You do the casting call inviting everyone and choose the type of character you wanted for the lead role! Maybe a person of a different race will be perfect for another role... sheesh, all this is getting soooo out of hand! :mad:

Bonnie Thomas and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Yeah, that's it. No one's religion is based on the Nancy Drew mysteries, I'm sure, so there would be no harm in casting someone other than a white person in the role. I know I'd have no problem with that, although I'm sure some people would, particularly those who have always pictured the main character as being white, as she was in past productions. But to, in effect, post a "whites need not apply" notice to the casting call is so wrong.

It's the same thinking that enters into the Sam's Club CEO stating openly that she does not do business with companies whose board members are white. We're back to tolerating open racism again, and it infuriates me that people of all races wouldn't see something wrong with this.

4. Mari North

Registered

Now here's an idea that they may not have considered :confused: how 'bout letting the actresses do the reading for the call, and then choose the {gasp!} best fit for the role no matter WHAT color her skin is. What a foreign concept.

Wonder what they'll do if a dude comes in to read... a male Nancy Drew. In this day and age, it could happen. And if he doesn't get equal treatment, he'll squawk discrimination (kind of like the girls in California who are making a stink about joining the boy scouts) and they'll end up caving and letting him read.

I hadn't heard the Sam's Club thing... it's all becoming ludicrous. I feel like Winnie the Pooh... Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with what's already been stated. My question is, why re-make past successes and change them? Why not write new stories/plays/musicals, etc., and create role models for non-whites, if you don't like the white role models? I also have an issue with taking someone off of a dollar bill (of whatever denomination) and doing the same, and renaming those schools named for Confederate heroes. I'm tired of history being re-written, and a slanted version of it being taught in schools. Oh, and although I enjoyed the Nancy Drew books, I won't be watching this series. Since whites are banned from playing the role, I won't be tuning in.

Mari North and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe that redoing a TV series with a different ethnicity for the main character is not the way to go.

If they want to be supportive with an ethnicity other than white, it's okay, but please, write down a new story!

Those of us who already watched Nancy Drew being white, simply wouldn't trust the character no matter how good she is at acting. This is kinda the last Fantastic Four movie, with one of them being a black hero never seen in the original plot, nor any of the many movie releases.

Mari North and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

It seems odd that, rather than writing something original for a black character, they would simply change the race of one that has already been in existence.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It's the 60s all over again, with one radical group (or several related radical groups) trying to turn society on its head, and change the way things are and the way things are done. Perhaps instead of trying to make a mess of things and 'effect change', these people should try getting jobs and leaving society alone.

9. Mari North

Registered

Totally agreed with you here, @Carlota Clemens ... the viewers would *not* warm up to a totally different character than we grew up with. I loved Nancy Drew and read every book numerous times, and then again read them all with my daughter all those years later.

So here's my thought and my feelings. We all got to know Nancy Drew as the teen sleuth with strawberry blonde hair.... turned to reddish-blonde in later books. That's Nancy Drew. I LOVE those stories even now (OH!!!! Watch for a post I'll be making next... seriously, if you still like these books! I'll try to remember to tag you.).

So would I not WATCH or like an African American or Asian sleuth? Of course I'd watch!... I'd get to love her as much as I loved all the Nancy stories. But for crying out loud, give her her own name! Make her mysteries as good as or better than Nancy's mysteries. And give your viewers and readers some credit... we're perfectly capable of loving a teenage sleuth no matter what the color of her skin. Sheesh, I think it's the execs coming up with this ludicrous stuff who are the racists. Now there's a thought. :mad:

Diane Lane likes this.