Cats And Their Ways

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by K E Gordon, Jun 2, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

So, I committed a cardinal sin as far as my cat is concerned. He hates canned shredded cat food, and will not eat it, unless there is dire food emergency. I accidentally bought some yesterday. I noticed my mistake this morning and was suitably chagrined. He just gave me this look at breakfast time..which could only be translated as "What am I supposed to do with this crud.?" or it might be said to be "Is this all there is?" Naturally, he walked around it as if it was contaminated with arsenic. He had a bit of dry food, with his nose in the air! I would have given him the lecture that starving street cats would be glad to have it...but of course he wouldn't care! :rolleyes::D

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So funny :D
    I'm reading a book at present by a cat owner. He has 5 cats now and you're post above is on the lines of his writings
    He even describes the cats talking to him and as they are all different characters, he describes each one so well
    A very humorous read :)

K E Gordon likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

Registered

Thanks, you would probably enjoy the Lillian Jackson Braun books. Have you read any of them? They are quite cute, and star Koko and Yum Yum two Siamese cats. They are a bit over the top cute, but I like them from time to time for some light reading.

Krissttina Isobe and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I buy food that my cat (Ella) doesn't like, she pretends to bury it, making digging motions alongside the bowl. The girl knows how to get her point across. Mine don't care for shredded canned food either. They lick it dry, but leave the food behind.

Patsy Faye and K E Gordon like this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

Aren't they funny? I have heard of some cats, that won't eat the pate. I have to read all labels carefully, grabbing the wrong can will lead to trouble like it did this morning. Well like a kid, I suppose if he gets hungry enough he will eat it..if not, I will have to dispose of it. It is such a shame. Any dog would woof that down in a heart beat.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon Funny! :D
    I went thru the same thing when a friend did my shopping and bought canned shredded instead of pate.

Kitty turned up her nose, ate some dry, gave me the stinkeye, and walked away.:mad:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    K E Gordon likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@K E Gordon - I've put it in my favourites, I've a couple of books to get through first :)

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

You aren't by any chance reading Eric Longdon, are you Patsy? I read some of his cat related books. So hilarious! I remember one where he has a cat that likes to eat potato chips and it would go open a bag and just get one out every time, and that was it.

Patsy Faye and Arlene Richards like this.
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL! Cats really are so delicately balanced. They are so cute and when they do these things they are even more precious! I thought that pets eat what's given to them always. Thanks for sharing.

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Spot on Diana - he is so good at 'descriptive' writing isn't he
    Not just with his cats, but also the humans he comes into contact with :D
    He really makes me giggle and I can picture the scenes so well, I've only read two so far, on me third now - fabulous ! :)
    Last night he was saying how he has spoilt the cats with good food and now they won't touch normal cat food at all
    and yes, prawn crisps are a favourite :p Made me laugh when he has to take them to the vets and Thermal says to him .....
    'You won't look will you' .............:D (You know where they put the thermometer, don't you .......)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Diana Kristof and K E Gordon like this.
  11. K E Gordon

Registered

@ Kristtina Isobe, I guess you haven't had many pets then. They have strong likes and dislikes when it comes to food, especially cats. The strange thing about them too is that they can suddenly take a dislike to something they used to like in a heartbeat. They will let you know too...boy will they let you know! I have learned with mine Friskies is a pretty safe bet..anything else, you are really taking your chances. Dogs get spoiled with people food, and will deign to eat their dog food. I had a dog who would try to beg everything who could from people, then would hoover around the floor looking for whatever scraps he could pick up. After that process was complete...he would reluctantly turn to his food dish!

Arlene Richards likes this.
  12. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

Patsy, I have really enjoyed his books. I thought from your description that that had to be what you were talking about! You've got me wanting to read the rest now. I will have to order one next time I order books on Amazon.

K. E. Gordon, agree, pets are picky and you just never know what they will or won't eat. A cat I had once would eat pretty much anything from this one brand of food, but if it had salmon in it, she would turn up her nose. I don't know why, but she hated salmon. Just like people, they all have things they don't like the taste of!

K E Gordon and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

My cat hates all fishy cat food, wet or dry. But as soon as I open a can of tuna, she's right there! :D

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. K E Gordon

Registered

They are so odd. My cat is just the opposite, Salmon flavor is his favorite of all the cat foods. Even if it is what he considers to be an "off brand" if it is salmon flavored, there is a decent chance he will eat it. I really do try to mostly stick with Friskies. though, because nothing is as annoying as paying good money for cat food and it sits there. Also, I really think Friskies is pretty good quality cat food for a store brand, because since he has developed the Friskies fetish, he fur is softer and shinier.

15. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered