Catalytic Converters

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Often in the news these days, people are stealing catalytic converters as there is a black market for them. Years ago, when California first began requiring them, people would pay people to surreptitiously remove the things because they degraded the performance of the vehicles. Some black market technicians would even bypass them so that they would still be there in the case of an inspection.

I rented a house in California with a friend whose father owned six tune-up shops, and I know they would remove catalytic converters for people who wanted them gone.

Today, people are stealing them, not because they are considered valuable components to the vehicle but because of the valuable metals contained in them.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The buyers must be involved due to the federal regulations forbidding the buying and selling, it's like copper wire a few years ago. Thieves were stripping every inch of copper from buildings that were sitting idle, it got so bad you had to have ID and other proof where you obtained the copper. My brother was a low achiever, he specialized in empty aluminum cans and when business was slow he would drink until he had a sack of cans.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I commented elsewhere that there is a rash of catalytic converter thefts in Charlottesville, and even in some of the outlaying rural farm areas (man, that's taking a big chance.) Apparently it only takes a few minutes to grab them if you practice. Some people are taking their cars in to have the bolts welded so a casual thief cannot remove them, but a mechanic can remove them easily with an air chisel (in the unlikely event the thing needs to be replaced.)

I've not read of any spiteful thieves stabbing a screwdriver through any converters that have been welded in place (but the number of welded converters is pretty small.) I just read that a bad converter will throw a Check Engine Light code, so you would know if it's been vandalized.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

They wee also stealing HVAC units from churches, since the theft wouldn't be discovered for a week if you took it Sunday night or Monday. I read a number of such stories.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone hear about people getting killed when the vehicle's owner drives off with the thief still under the car?
    This one had me ROFLOL when the woman said, "When I got in my truck & drove off, I felt a bump."

https://abc7chicago.com/man-killed-...verter-theft-converters-palmdale-ca/12819570/

PALMDALE, Calif. -- A man who authorities say was trying to steal a catalytic converter from a truck in Palmdale is dead after being run over by the driver of that truck.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. Tuesday at a shopping center parking lot, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Authorities say a car with four suspects inside pulled up to the lifted 4x4 Ford Excursion, and one of them got out to saw off the vehicle's catalytic converter.

A woman was sleeping inside the truck and heard the noises and thought someone was breaking in. She started the engine and put the car in reverse gear. When she felt a bump, she got out and called 911 after she saw the grand theft suspect on the ground.

Responding deputies detained the three other suspects, another man and two women. The suspect that was struck was taken to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.