Cat Seizures

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Thomas Stillhere, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So sorry to hear about your kitty. It is so hard to lose our pets. Maine Coons are beautiful big cats!

Thomas Windom likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry about your kitty.
    If you have a short table lamp, put it on the floor directed at a pan of water under it with a drop of dish soap in the water. The warmth of the light attracts the fleas and they drown in the water. Food grade diatomaceous earth can work around your bed. You don't want to breathe it on your bedding, but it can help. It might clog your vacuum.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Somehow, I missed this thread when you posted it. I'm sorry.

But I'm pleased to hear that he's doing okay.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I am very sorry to hear that.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

He has not had anything happen for over a month and I believe he has passed the got well tier. He eats like a horse and is healthy. I have no doubt it was that fly spray I used in the kitchen area, not the carpet spray that did have some flea agents in it, but it did state on the can it was not harmful to cats or pets. I have to say that fly spray is terrible and should be removed from the shelf because it don't kill anything but pets and humans. I got a good dose several years ago and I knew what it was and went to the ER just to be sure it wasn't anything other than the fly spray.

Mary Stetler and Alan Sidlo like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

So many of us have had to say good bye to beloved pets. I am sorry about your poor Bryer.

7. Ken Anderson

Living in Maine, we don't have a large problem with flies indoors, with the exception of fruit flies, and, between making sure we don't leave things around that attract them and trapping them in containers of apple cider vinegar, they're not a big problem. I also have an electronic zapper hanging near the ceiling that will zap the occasional housefly or other flying critters. So, I have pretty much eliminated the use of poisons here.

For the past twenty years, since we've been feeding our cats premium foods, we have had no problems with fleas, and that was even true when they were allowed outdoors, so there's been no need to apply poisons to them directly. I haven't seen more than about three fleas in twenty years, and I found them directly after one of the cats came indoors. The flea comb comes out whenever I see one of them scratching more than once or so, and I rarely find a flea. Ella has come to enjoy being combed so I comb here sometimes just for her own pleasure, while Bubba is pretty sure that I'm up to something nefarious with that flea comb.

The lack of fleas is not a Maine advantage, though. Shortly after moving here, and before I learned the advantages of feeding them right, we had some horrible flea infestations. The last time I used poison for fleas here, we moved into a pet-friendly motel for several days while we thoroughly bombed all three floors of our house and the crawlspace, using every variety of flea poisons I could find, and adding diatomaceous earth to the yard, particularly around the house, and in the crawlspace. By then, we had started feeding them premium foods, and we haven't had a flea problem since. After giving the flea bombs and sprays a chance to work, I aired the house out enough that I could get into it without risk of death, and vacuumed the whole house (since that wakes up any flea eggs that have undoubtedly been deposited in crevices and cracks in the wood floors), and bombed the house again, after collecting every bit of rugs, towels, and bedding for washing. That was it. In more than twenty years, there have been no additional flea problems.

Yes, I do believe that insect poisons, including those that are intended to be applied or sprayed directly on the cat, are not truly as pet-safe as the labels might imply, and that insecticides used against other insects too often find their way onto and into our pets, so I'm pretty careful about that now, although that wasn't always the case. It's wholly unrealistic to expect anyone to live with flea infestations since they are not good for the cat or the people who love them, and non-poison remedies, such as cloves powder and so on, are not as immediately effective as the poisons.

8. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The Dawn dish soap is a real killer for the fleas, however the cats aren't much into bathing. Once they got larger and have attack knives I stopped trying to bathe them. Nevada was a strange place because there are lots of insects that cannot stand that hot weather. On the other hand PARVO is killing a lot of young dogs. I think it is dropped by Rabbits and it lies dormant until a young dog just happens to roll around on the area it has claimed. My young Whippet was still young and came down with PARVO and it cost me 350 dollars to save her life. It is so contagious all the pet shelters don't try to save any dogs that happen to be in the shelter, they automatically put them all down to keep it from spreading. I read it is like a serious stomach flu that we humans would have. It has no effect on grown dogs because they have completed their aging immunity to virus such as PARVO. The little dogs get dehydrated and try to drink but their bodies just can't get enough water, my little dog just kept standing over the water bowl and drinking continuously with her long snout down into the water. The IVs they gave her brought her around real fast but she stayed a week at the vet. First thing she done was to pee on my floor in the Truck. I was real happy to see her back to her usual don't care mood. She was a very mean little dog, no fear of any large dog. My friend let me park my large motor home in his long driveway off to the side and he would watch after the dogs while I was working. So one day he told me, you know I once couldn't stand that dog but today the dog across the street which was a bully to all the other neighborhood dogs came over and started barking at her while she was standing in the motor home window looking out and she jumped out the window onto his back and rode him all the way to his house. His owner came running out and screaming about the dog fighting. It must have been funny to watch such a small dog riding the back of a large dog and biting him on his ears. The dog stopped harassing the other dogs after that.

Mary Stetler likes this.