Cat Scanner / Dog Scanner

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Recommended by someone I know on Facebook, I just installed an app on my iPhone called Cat Scanner, which is supposed to determine which breed or breeds a cat is from a photo. According to Cat Scanner, Ella is 76.8% European Shorthair, 14.2% Turkish Van, and 5.4% Himalayan Cat. I think they have one for dogs, too.

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I tried it, but it does not show percentages for me, and I am not even sure that they chose the correct dog breed. When I put in a picture of Tootsie, who is part Queensland Blue Heeler, and part Fox terrier, it just came out with Fox Terrier.
    Then I tried a picture of Chipper, who was half Poodle, with a little Pom and some Yorkie, and they just said that he was a Yorkie.
    Plus..... I am already tired of the advertisements !
    Did you get the premium version , and is that why yours worked better, @Ken Anderson ?

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Other than an ad to download Pandora, which I had already downloaded, I didn't see any ads - and no, I don't have the premium version. Maybe the Cat Scanner works better than the Dog Scanner.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I got more ads the second time I tried it, although not overly obtrusive. Using a different photo of Ella, it came up with pretty much the same thing, except the percentages weren't exactly the same. Close, though.

Its assessment of Ella seems reasonable but I tried it with an old photo of Cutie and it thinks she was more than 80% black panther. Now I wish I had tried it while Cutie was still alive; it would have made her feel like a badass. As it was, I used to refer to her as a Prussian Black so that she could be a purebred too. I think it's a bit like one I tried for plant identification a while back. It would get some of them right but it would be way off on others.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i need a scanner for my little guy ...skeeter....he's addicted to greenie treats and every evening he whines...paces...cries...

i've gave him stress tabs....oh...anyway...off topic...but...
    he's driving us krazy...right now