Cat Or Dog Person?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by K E Gordon, May 1, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am probably going to get a dog again at some point fairly soon. I think they are good exercise and also offer a bit of protection. They can be a bit of a hindrance as far as travel goes, and that is their only real drawback, also sometimes their barking can annoy neighbors. However, they can be nice to have around and go company too. There is nothing quite like a dog.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are definitely dog lovers. My wife is allergic to cat hair, so can't have any. I like dogs of all sizes and breeds. Have been around adult Pit Bulls that acted liked pups and were extremely nice. Have had the same experience with German Shepherd's, Doberman's and Rottweiler's.
    Our next dog will be a Shih Tzu.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like dogs well enough but I've never had one of my own. We had family dogs when I was a kid, but I've never had one. I've always had cats. I like the challenge and if I ever get the chance to do so again, I would love to take in another feral adult cat. I took one in who was about three years old at the time. There was an advantage in that I had been feeding her as a feral cat since she was a kitten so I wasn't a stranger to her, still she had never been inside of a house and was afraid of people. Actually, other than afraid, she was combative. She lived to be in her twenties, and never did get entirely comfortable with being hugged or petted. She did, however, get to the point where she would no longer hurt me, although it was clear that she wanted to sometimes.

When I would pet her, she would purr and act like she loved it. Then, at some point, it would be too much for her. It was like she was feeling...

I love it.
    I love it.
    I love it.
    I don't trust this.
    Something's wrong here.
    I hate it.
    I CAN'T STAND IT!

When I held her, she would be stiff as a board. Still, we got to a point where she wouldn't hurt me. Even when I teased her, she wouldn't. She would sometimes raise her paws to me as if she was about to strike, and she'd sometimes slap me, but with the claws in. The only time she would hurt me would be by accident, I think. When she was playing, she would sometimes forget to retract the claws. She was a fun cat though. It took years of work.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I really want another dog too and hope we will be able to have one soon.

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

I have seriously considered getting a shih Tzu. Right now, I live in a lake community though. I may not be here forever, but at this point it isn't clear how much longer I will be here..and if it is a good length of time, I would rather get a dog that likes the water. Shih Tzu's too, have long hair you have to keep trimmed. Poodles like the water, I wonder if a combo would be possible. My other dog..doxie, terrier combo...didn't even like to get his feet wet lol.

6. K E Gordon

Registered

I once had a cat who had lived a good bit of his life outdoors. I noticed he prefered proximity, but was never a lap cat. He would sit nearby whenever he had a chance, in fact he preferred it,,but I could never get him to sit on my lap. He was a really sweet cat though, all my cats have been. He was the one who noticed I dropped a hot dog on the floor one time, or it fell out of the fridge or something and he brought it to me meowing...like "look what you did." you careless oaf! hahaha.

7. Ken Anderson

Uh huh. Bird would jump up on my knee, but she would prefer that I just let her sit there, and not insist on petting her.

8. K E Gordon

Registered

They are really characters, I was wondering how he was going to figure out how to get out of the box. It was really pretty funny watching him inside. I think that most cats have an attraction for boxes. Mine loves to sit in them. In terms of their life..it seems like their mottos are nothing beats a good box! It is just funny one of the ways they entertain themselves I guess.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

On the other hand, I get along great with dogs and enjoyed our family dogs when I was a kid. My cats would never forgive me if I were to get a dog, and I would never do that to my 26 year-olds, but I wouldn't mind having a dog, something small but not an ankle-biter breed. I don't know if I'll ever be ready for the responsibilities though. Then again, dogs are usually better at being boarded for a day or two than cats would be, perhaps. I had to leave one of my cats overnight at the vets once and she acted like she had gone through a war by the next day.

Arlene Richards likes this.
  10. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

My cat LOVES cardboard boxes! I keep several out, she crawls in them and hides or naps.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

*I agree with you. For whatever reason they love boxes they give us lol times every time they go to a boy...maybe they love to hear us laugh.

12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Apologize if I'm duplicating here. Sent this somewhere a few days ago, not sure if here, though. Hilarious!

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

And finally,