Cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Patsy Faye, May 15, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sure is, Hal. From long ago.
    1959 Sprite Mark 1 (Bugeye)

Mine had the factory hardtop.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Did the Sprite also have a 6-cylinder engine, or was that only in the 3000?

In the 60s, I was hot on getting a British sports car, and was trying to decide between the MG-TD and the AH 3000, which had the 6-piston engine.

Hal

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Sprite had a 4 cylinder, 2 carb engine. Depending on the year, the engine was either a 948cc, a 1098cc, or a 1275cc.

My older brother had (2) 3000s. I believe one was a Mark1 and the other was a Mark2. The earlier one had a cable-driven rear differential overdrive, while the later one was solenoid-operated. He was always losing the wheel off of one of them because the spinner hub would come off while he was driving.

I still have my carb synchronizer. For some reason, I didn't give it to the buyer of my Bugeye. But I did give them boxes of spare parts I salvaged from visiting every junkyard between Washington DC and Richmond VA (100 miles north-to-south.) Many parts were interchangeable with MG Midgets, and also with the Nash Metropolitan (same 948cc engine, transverse-mounted, and same unique dash knobs.) In fact, I changed out the front drum brakes with the front end of a '72 Midget to make them disc brakes.