Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Pat Baker, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2015

4 cups water

1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 apple - peeled, cored and chopped
    d c1/2 cup shredded carrot
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 pinch salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 cup plain yogurt

15 mins

· COOK

40 mins

· READY IN

55 mins

1. Bring water to a boil in a heavy, large saucepan, and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook oats until they begin to thicken, about 10 minutes; mix in the apple, carrot, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Let the oats simmer until tender, about 20 more minutes.
    2. While the oats are simmering, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and stir in the pecans. Toast the nuts until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 5 minutes, then sprinkle with brown sugar and stir until sugar has melted and coated the pecans.
    Richard Paradon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I have made a similar breakfast from oatmeal, and I put in a chopped up apple and raisins; but I never thought about adding carrots to the mixture. That sounds even better, healthier,and almot like having a carrot cake.
    I will definitely have to try that when I have hot cereal. It is longer than I usually cook my oatmeal; but it would take a while before the apples and carrots got cooked, I imagine.
    What did you think about it when you made it for breakfast, Pat ? Does it taste as good as it sounds ?
  3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Sounds like an interesting dish, Pat, but my question is what is a steel cut oat? I don't like cereal very much but I can find Quaker Oats here.