Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Pat Baker, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

See this on pinterest, hope you like it.

4 cups water

1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 apple - peeled, cored and chopped
    d c1/2 cup shredded carrot
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 pinch salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 cup plain yogurt

PREP

15 mins

· COOK

40 mins

· READY IN

55 mins

Directions
    1. Bring water to a boil in a heavy, large saucepan, and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook oats until they begin to thicken, about 10 minutes; mix in the apple, carrot, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Let the oats simmer until tender, about 20 more minutes.
    2. While the oats are simmering, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and stir in the pecans. Toast the nuts until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 5 minutes, then sprinkle with brown sugar and stir until sugar has melted and coated the pecans.

Richard Paradon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have made a similar breakfast from oatmeal, and I put in a chopped up apple and raisins; but I never thought about adding carrots to the mixture. That sounds even better, healthier,and almot like having a carrot cake.
    I will definitely have to try that when I have hot cereal. It is longer than I usually cook my oatmeal; but it would take a while before the apples and carrots got cooked, I imagine.
    What did you think about it when you made it for breakfast, Pat ? Does it taste as good as it sounds ?

3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sounds like an interesting dish, Pat, but my question is what is a steel cut oat? I don't like cereal very much but I can find Quaker Oats here.