Carpal Tunnel

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Will Lawrence, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Have had difficulty with hands going to sleep for the past couple of years. Started wearing splints on both at night. Condition progressively worsened and this past December asked my Family Doctor what to do. He referred me to a neurologist for testing to determine if it was carpal tunnel or some other problem.

Yesterday, I had my neurologist appointment. I went in somewhat apprehensive. Had been told they would administer some electric shock therapy and that didn't bother me. (I've worked around electricity most of my life and will test 115v with my finger.) Had also been told they would stick a needle into the palm of my hand. That had me pretty uptight.

The doc's assistant was a hoot. When she laid out the "tools", she said, "And here's the cattle prod!" I sorta looked at her and she laughed. Told me not to worry that she had the doctor perform the test on her so she would know what the patient felt... and that it wasn't all that bad. I asked her about the needle. She explained that it was a very small diameter needle, similar to an acupuncture needle. She told me the reaction to that procedure was completely dependent on one's fear... or not... of needles in general.

The electronic shock procedure was, for me, totally painless. Sorta funny watching the doc hit the button and seem my hands/fingers twitch. I didn't think it was painful at all. Then he started the needle procedure. Began sticking me with this little needle all around my elbow area. Could hardly feel the pin prick. Then he told me the most painful ones would be two pricks in the palm of my hand. Those did get my attention, but weren't really painful at all. I thought the procedure, overall, was nothing like I had been warned of.

Both hands have severe carpal tunnel. Insurance requires a minimum of 30 days occupational therapy before they will pay for surgery. I guess they hope the therapy will correct the problem and the surgery noth be needed. Have the first therapy appointment next week.

Looking forward to being able to type on "SeniorsOnly", drive long distances, and sleep without the pain and numbness.

I hear they won't do both hands at once. Wife's cousin had it done and they would only do one at a time. He said his doctor told him he would do both at the same time if... IF he would bring a signed statement from someone volunteering to wipe his butt during recovery!!!!! :>) I asked my wife. You can imagine the look/reaction that got!!!

For you who have had carpal tunnel surgery, what have you experienced as recovery time??

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have had carpal tunnel in left hand/wrist, but a brace w/two metal bars help the situation.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Love, til it hurts.;)
    [​IMG]

Will Lawrence likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was experiencing wrist pains some years ago and reading about carpal tunnel, I suspect that it was what's causing the pain. And then I learned that one of my former colleagues had a surgery for that carpal tunnel. She said she has no more problem with the mouse.

When I told my husband about my problem, he aske me to sit down on the home computer and casually do something. When I held the mouse, my husband pointed out the problem. That my arm is hanging and the weight has been depending on the hand thereby putting much pressure on the wrist. The proper way to handle the mouse is having your elbow resting on the table. Now I realized that my mouse pad is always nearer to me so that my elbow has no place to rest. That did it. I acftually had no carpal tunnel problem.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Will Lawrence

Registered

Went to my first occupational therapy appointment this morning. After some more testing, the therapist asked "Why are you here?" I asked what she meant. She said my CTS is severe enough that I need surgery... not therapy. So, a call to the surgeon and am set up for my assessment there next week. I'm going back to the same surgeon who did my total knee replacement in 2009. He did a good job on that and I have all the confidence in his work.

The occupational therapist told me she had seen this surgeon's work. Said he is so meticulous that you usually go home with just a Band-Aid. She said recovery would be quick and then I'd spend time trying to get rid of the small scars. I told her I wanted the scars!!! "When I'm in the nursing home and trying to outdo all the 'old folks' with my history of operations, etc., I will need scars to prove my stories!!"

Krissttina Isobe and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I have had trigger finger experiences on my right hand. I massage and stretch it and it goes away. My doctor asked if I wanted a shot for it and I told her no I'll do it holistically to cure my trigger fingers. I hope you get better soon and all goes well with you and rid yourself of carpal tunnel in your hands forever! Take care of yourself everyone!

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome, according to my doctor, but my fingers will stiffen sometimes, making it difficult to clench my fingers or to extend them after I have managed to clench them. I am on the computer pretty much all the time, but the movement required for typing is never a problem for me.

When they stiffen, I use an old curtain rod like a baton, twirling it while moving it between two fingers at a time, alternating the fingers. At first, it hurts to do that but after a while, I find that it has freed my fingers up, and they will be fine for a couple of days. When I try to make the same movement with my fingers, but without the curtain rod, it doesn't help at all. Thinking that it might be related to all of the typing that I do, I asked my doctor about it but she said no, it was just an age thing. She says she has another patient who will break sticks into small pieces for the same effect.

9. Will Lawrence

Registered

Surgeon did left hand yesterday. Stitches out March 2. Then schedule the right hand. No golf for a while,:mad: