Career Vs. Job

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is a difference. I have had two careers. First was a Licensed Embalmer/Funeral Director, Second was Sales/Sales Management Mutual Funds/Employee Benefits.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To me, a job is working to get by and cover daily, weekly and monthly expenses. A career is something with a promotion ladder and other benefits. Generally a carrer has tougher requirements to meet with than a job does, but not always.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    I think of myself as a career sloth and glutton, combined.
    Frank

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had a job, a very good job but just a job.

To me, a career indicates some sort of an actual plan for personal growth, advancement, success.

I had no plan, I just bumped along and somehow success found me.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

After I got out of the Navy, I had multiple different jobs, from working in a horse stables at a amusement park, to being a horseback trail guide at a regional park, to using a drill press, to being in EMS. Now, career wise, working in warehouse, shipping/receiving, stockroom, purchasing and inventory management. This all started in 1982.

6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Using your guidelines, I guess I've had 2 different careers.

First career was the 21 years I did in the Air Force.
    Got to do a lot of different things, see incredible places,
    enjoy different cultures and normal advancement.

Second career was when I started at the first level at the Ethanol Plant.
    They start you off in the Dryer Area, where you deal with the by-product of
    corn mash.

After that, you work your way up to Preperation to Fermentation and finally to Distillation.
    Each step had it's rewards and something I enjoyed.
    Was a Distillation Operator when I left to move to Tennessee after 15 years.

Now I'm just an hourly worker, but only for 57 more days.:cool:

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

As I see it, I have had several jobs but two careers. One was in the paper bag industry and, within that career, I had three jobs - Hoerner-Waldorf, Champion Paper, and Duro Bag Company. My second career was in EMS, and that included five jobs - Los Fresnos EMS, Texas Southmost College, Catalina Ambulance Service, Texas State Technical College, and Advanced Cardiac & Trauma. I could add the State of Texas EMS Division to that too, because I worked as a skills examiner throughout my EMS career. Although I have worked for several web directories, some as a volunteer, others paid, I don't consider that to be a career because it is pretty much a matter of being paid for doing something that I like to do, and without an advancement schedule.

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought a career as being driven by a college degree. Choose an area of interest and pursue it. Mine was to become an administrative assistant but that changed along the way after working with a temp agency on office related assignments. It became a matter of 'where' I wanted to work and more importantly 'why' I wanted to work there.' Working on the front lines as a receptionist/secretary for 24 years I found that I was very helpful in ways beyond my position just for 'being me.' I was often told 'I should be 'this or that' which got me to thinking 'Hmmm.' Then began my journey through the temp agency which led me to as position as a medical biller doing medical billing and insurance claims. I was able to help and educate many people about health insurance and loved all 18 years of it.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

To me a Career is what you want to spend most of your life doing, while a job is something you do to pay the bills, etc. when you aren't able to work in your Career area. A Career is where you use the gifts God blessed you with, where you feel fulfilled and where there is usually new things to learn and growth and advancement. A Career should be in an area that you feel passion and interest in and that you can see yourself doing for most of your life.

A job is what pays the bills until you find your Career. :)

Don Alaska likes this.