Can't Remember When

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

It must be a sign of age but I can not remember when the last time I seen a six quart basket. When I was young we had baskets made of wood they came in 1 pint, 1quart, 4 quart, 6 quart, 11 quart, peck, bushel. In the farmers market they never used scales but sold every thing by basket. It seems that over night they all disappeared. When was the last time you seen one.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Never have seen one smaller than 1/2 bushel.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

6 quart .jpg 11 quart .jpg peck and bushel .jpg

Here is a picture of 6 quart, 11 quart, peck and bushel
    Ike I must be older than dirt I use a lot of them

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I did see the smaller ones after all. I remember seeing those now. When I was a wee snot my mom and granny had some like that.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of the olden days in the market, I remember when I used to tag along so I could point to my mother what I want like a duckling for a toy. Yes, that's the live duckling that they sell cheap in the market. Children would buy it as a pet that would last for 2 or 3 days.

With the food items in the market, almost everything was sold by the pile. Tomatoes or garlic or onions are piled by the dozen or so. With other vegetables like eggplant (aubergine), okra, water spinach, they are bunched and tied with a banana leaf strip. I couldn't imagine that farm produce would be weighed since only the meat vendors were using weighing scales. But now even the watermelon is weighed and sold by the kilo. With rice, there was the ganta as the measure - a square (cube actually) container made of wood. Now, rice is also sold by the kilo.