Canning & Freezing

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We've been canning and/or freezing food from our small garden. Asparagus, both whole spears and cut, French fries and potato soup, sliced squash, and beets in the freezer and yesterday we canned some salsa.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday, I made a jar of what they call "refrigerator Jam" or sometimes freezer jam, because you can keep it forever (almost) once it is frozen. We do not eat much jam; but occasionally we will have some on a piece of toast, or if we have a biscuit.
    When I make freezer jam, I use sf jello, so it does not need much sugar to sweeten it like regular jam has. The first recipe that I tried was strawberry-rhubarb, which is crazy delicious; but I have expanded out and experimented with different combinations.
    After I read about tomato jam, I started making that when I found cheap tomatoes, or blemished ones from the farmers market. When mixed with a little bit of fresh raspberries, and some raspberry sf jello, the jam is hard to tell from real raspberry jam.
    This time, I had 3 peaches that were getting too old to eat fresh, so I cut them up, and a couple of the older tomatoes that I had in the fridge, and pulsed them in the Vitamix along with the very last of a jar of strawberry jam. (It was kind of a "clean-out-the-cupboards" jam), added a little cinnamon, and cooked everything until it smelled good. Then I added the strawberry jello and stirred that in good, and put it in jars. We have one of those wide-mouth 24 oz jars, and part of a 16 oz jar; so that will keep us in jam for a while.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott , have you ever cooked tomatoes, okra, onion and celery? It's delicious. I cook it and freeze it. Next winter, I can thaw out a pack, cook a piece of pork chops or chicken and have a meal. I also like it with peanut butter on Ritz crackers for lunch.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Tomatoes, okra and onions yes. I haven't ever grown celery.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Ummmm, beet pickles. Once in a while I get a pure craving for them. I will eat them every day for weeks.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our best year in Missouri, my wife picked 20 gallons of Blackberries and Raspberries. They grow there by the acre, wild, overcoming even the big native grasses. Good year, that was, for Berry Wine! YUM!
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.