Cancer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, my brother spent 6 months with a catheter. And yes, i swear there where times i could hear him shouting when they changed ir even though he lives 6 hrs away.

He was not a candidate for prostatectomy or several other treatments as his had metastisized to the bones. However, he did have radiation to his neck for pain relief. That was a rough ordeal and took him a while to recouperate from. He has the option of radiation to a hip since that hap and leg are so painful that even morephine does not provide 24 hr relief. He is leaning toward radiation, but knows everything it entails and is putting it off as long as he can.

Once again Ken, you are a fortunate man . Please don't worry so much that these cancer free days are ruined.

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Texas Beth

Catheter = UGH! My wife sat in the examining room with me at the ER when the Dr. inserted one into my bladder, really painful, as there was an obstruction. I could not see if she smiled, as I was flat on my back!
    Frank

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm having trouble talking today. My voice was easier the day after the surgery than today. I can't manage any volume and I keep losing my voice today. I think there has been some swelling going on. Perhaps I slept wrong last night, or maybe singing "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" to my cat was a mistake.

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Is this a normal side effect of the surgery or something to be concerned about? I am glad you are OK! That is the important thing. I hope you will get your voice back in time. I am supposed to go to the doctor on the 3oth. I think it is going to be so stressful. However, it has to be done! At least I am not facing any surgery. It is good that you are able to pop in Ken, and I really hope things go well for you!:):)

6. Ken Anderson

I'm slightly concerned because things should be getting better not worse, but I'm not terribly worried. Probably, I put some pressure on the surgical wound while sleeping last night. I'm supposed to be sleeping on my back at a 30 degree angle but I'm used to sleeping on my side and flat.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't popped in Ken because I was waiting to see how things went and am glad that again, prayer works.
    Although singing "tip toe through the tulips" might be a little tough right now but at least you are around to give it a try however the cats may take it.
    Tis much better than a choir singing "swing low sweet chariot" with you as the one being sung to.

8. Ken Anderson

Yeah, surely the cats thought it was a mistake. Except Cutie, but she's deaf. She's way more tolerable of my singing now that she's deaf.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been about a month now since your surgery, @Ken Anderson, how are you feeling? Do you think the dose
    Is right on your meds?

10. Ken Anderson

Thanks for asking. I feel pretty okay. The "blah" feeling only lasted a week or so. I still haven't seen the endocrinologist yet, or gone through the radioactive iodine thing, as that's scheduled for next month.

According to the only labs that I've taken since the surgery, my numbers still aren't good but I don't really understand the numbers as they relate to thyroid activity. She did tell me that she didn't expect the labs to come out right so soon after the surgery, though. That's something I suppose I'll understand better after I've seen the endocrinologist, as well as why the radioactive iodine, given that there was no cancer in my left thyroid tissue.

However, I feel fine. Pretty much the same as I did before the operation. The surgical wound healed quickly, and was not very painful. My voice changed with the operation, however. My voice is deeper, and I can no longer sing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips." My voice also just stops sometimes. I might be speaking and then, mid-sentence, the sound stops. My surgeon tells me that this will get better, however.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That all sounds good, Ken! If your numbers aren't right and you still feel good, that's also a good sign. You'll probably feel even better if adjustments are made.

I really don't understand my numbers but they're in the normal range with the dose I'm on so that's that.

Being a man, a deeper voice isn't so bad even of it doesn't change. My mom's got raspy.

My mom also got the radioactive iodine even though they got all the cancer....maybe a precaution?

Good news!

12. Ken Anderson

Yes, I suppose even if there was no cancer in the left lobe, there may have been cancer cells.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, there always is that possibility.

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I had my thyroid gland surgically removed in 2004 due to non cancerous Multi Toxic Nodules and take a Thyroid replacement called Levoxyl. The only real after effect is that I have to chew my food thoroughly and not take big bites.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've not heard of Levoxyl @Ren Tanner. Is it name brand or generic? I've only heard of Synthroid and it's generic and Armour.

Edit: never mind, I looked it up and it's another generic for Synthroid.