Canada's Commercial Seal Hunt? Why? Why Is It Permitted?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Jeff Elohim, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

(perhaps an example of why not to trust the government , since they could have (supposedly) prevented the slaughter and instead get millions in bribes (unauthorized question) ?)
    Just seen on antenna tv channel 48-3 in Oklahoma.
    The world's largest commercial marine mammal harvesting , (along with any other causes),
    endangered/endangering the existence of another species...

I don't know - it did not say - if the Canadian Government has anything at all to do with this harvesting,
    but
    efforts are in planning or underway already to get them to stop the harvesting, to protect the species and stop the wanton greedy bxxxxxs corporations from profiting exorbitantly from the slaughter.... (it looks like the same motives that endangered some types of whales world wide years ago... the greedy slaughter was so widespread)

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It isn’t just Canada but about 20 nations world wide including northern Alaska. In Canada, the harvest is supposedly regulated but often, from what I have read, the harvest exceeds the limit.

From my understanding, whilst there is a food market for seal meat and another market for the oil, one of the major reason for killing seals is in the hands of fishermen and the fisheries.
    Seals eat fish and they pretty much feed all day and fishermen need fish to sell because more people eat fish than seals and a fisherman’s catch is his livelihood.
    Seals eat fish, no fish to catch = no livelihood for the fishermen = no need for fisheries ergo a whole bunch of folks have to learn computer programming because they’re out of work and everyone has to stop eating fish.

Yeah, I know I sort of made light of it but if those countries who impose a quota would enforce them then there might not be such an uproar.

3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

...hmmm...

Just WHEN did seals start to eat fish ?

4. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Seals are killed primarily for their fur, which is used to produce fashion garments .There is almost no market for the meat, so seal carcasses are normally left to rot on the ice.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  5. Herb Durant

Registered

Attached Files:

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, I have seen the videos of slaughtered seals and pups left behind but like the elephant tusk and rhino horn debacle, it isn’t widely accepted and in some areas highly illegal.

Now, whether you want to believe there is no market for the meat and oil or not, there is. Matter of fact, it’s the Canadians who have opened up those markets in the Western world and is also doing quite well in the exportation to China. Here’s one of many links.
    https://canadiansealproducts.com/products/seal-meat/where-to-buy-seal-meat

Do note: I am not in the seal business nor ever plan to be and I do not particularly like killing anything at all and I dislike poachers vehemently.
    That said, if the environmentalists can claim hands off on the spotted owl but hand out quotas on seals, hands off for Red Snapper in the Gulf and hands on for quotas on Moose, I guess those decisions are way above my pay grade and a legal thing that might be explored by whomever knows more about it than I.

7. Herb Durant

Registered

I somewhat agree with you it has been debated for years in Canada the method used to kill the seal pups is nothing less than animal cruelty I cant watch the videos anymore I've gotten soft in my old age I suppose I'm sticking my head in the sand and pretending it's not happening.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Sometimes when you Can’t change the way things are you just take whatever options you have. Writing to your representative might be good provided HE doesn’t have HIS head in the sand.
    When money is the very backbone of whatever it is that is wrong, change is very hard to come by.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We can add Mickey Mouse's copyright extension and the discovery of the evils of Freon with DuPont's patent expiration to the list of "government is corrupt" stories.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Absolute Hypocrisy! Mickey gets to keep his copyright and a lowly judge took away the Lone Ranger’s mask? gaaack!!

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

-You don't tug on Superman's cape
    -You don't spit into the wind.
    -What you said.
    -And you don't mess around with Jim.

Bobby Cole likes this.