Can You Pull The Trigger?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Faye Fox, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gee Ken I must be confused again I youabou
    He, Ken,
    I'm confused again the original tread was can you pull the trigger we all seemed to have wondered off the subject including yourself I read your post a few pages back about marksmanship with the Swat Team I'm trying to figure out the rules of engagement so I don't make comments irrelevant to the post I suppose the short answer should have been yes or no with a short comment.
    Your comment would be appreciated
    Herb

2. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I have seen my share of gunshot and stabbing wounds in the course of my medical profession. To answer the question of the thread's topic, yes of course I could pull the trigger. I may regret it later, but wouldn't think twice if I or my loved ones were threatened.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Could I pull the trigger and injure or kill someone. I could not answer that. As a judo and self defense instructor. I have people ask me what would you do if this happens I normally show them the common techniques we share. I had a student one time try and test me he grab me in a chock hold I put him on the floor in pain. He looked at me and said well you told us that you were to do it this way. I replied I do not know what I will do until it happens .I have many options and only my reaction will find what I will do. Think ahead to pointing a gun at a person I would think that I would do everything possible to defuse the situation other than shoot. Who knows what I would really do maybe the man upstairs.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not claiming superiority here, as I do that sometimes too. When I make a post like that, I am not blaming anyone; I just wanted to bring it back on topic, or perhaps move some of the gun tech talk to another thread. However, I brought that up in response to comments about training being an important component in deciding whether or not to use a weapon to defend yourself. The ability to hit your target, and all that. Generally, an off-topic comment isn't a problem as long as the thread moves back on-topic. When an off-topic comment garners responses that lead to an off-topic thread, it's still not a big problem, but that new topic might be spun off onto a thread of its own or merged with another one if that topic is already discussed elsewhere. No one has ever been banned for posting off-topic.

On-topic, if I truly felt that I needed to do so in order to protect myself or my wife, I am pretty sure that I would be able to pull the trigger. I don't expect to ever be in that position, but I'd like to leave my options open.

Terry Coywin and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks Ken that makes sense my mind tends to wander sometimes:) I can be googling something run across something else then forget what I was looking for to begin with.
    I will try to stay focussed