Can Potatoes Augment Or Increase Joint Pains In Osteoarthritis?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Susan Paynter, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I look at myself as an example, I would say, all the 5 night shade vegetables are a no no for osteoarthritis.
    I was looking online for a simple natural solution for osteoarthritis especially in my knees. I came upon the 21 day meal plan which alienates foods that cause inflammation in our bones. I like to be pain free and found when doing so, it helped a lot.
    However, I came across an article which mentioned that
    potato juice from raw potatoes is a great help to anyone that is dealing with any form of arthritis. There is plenty of information on the net on this form of potato nutrition.

However, this theory counteracts the theory of the night shade family of vegetables, atleast in the instance of potatoes and arthritic pain, it seems.!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have read all that also. Not true for everyone. Regardless I'm the Potato freak and I am not giving them up.I love my taters:)

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, potatoes will aggravate osteoarthritis pain. It is a "night shade" veggie. I love potatoes, so I put up with the pain they put in my shoulders. Actually, I have a VA prescription of 800mg Ibuprofen and 50mg Tramadol, that I take. Also have some CBD Rub and Oil I use.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I don't eat them near as much as I did at one time. So for me do not think it matters. I may ask my rummy doctor about that though.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  5. Susan Paynter

Registered

Agree with you Cody, except for the meds!!

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Aspartame is a joint killer. I don't use or drink anything that's got that in it
    And due to the process of elimination is how I know for a fact that it affects me at least very badly in that area.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I'm sorry I know we were talking about potatoes:p

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is what DR. John McDougall says about potatoes and arthritis. He said that the bad part is the solanine, so you have to make sure that the green parts are cut off of the potato, or just do not eat it if it has a lot of green (peeling the potato should take care of it though).
    This is an excerpt from his book, The Starch Solution, and he also has a website with a lot of good information about potatoes.

D53A9DB9-9496-4B21-A5CB-C0BADE403D81.jpeg

Susan Paynter likes this.
  9. Susan Paynter

Registered

Yvonne, I do enjoy potatoes and just did not eat any due to the fact of it causing or increasing the inflammation.

Well, thank you for this new insightful information, I will definitely look into his book which does give me hope, moving forward.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just stumbled across this discussion and found it quite interesting in that I was diagnosed with Arthritis more than 50 years ago and it has been hovering in the background in varying degrees throughout that time. What drew may attention is that as a vegetarian I simply rarely have a meal that does not include potatoes in some form or another, and that is not going to change, and despite a slight increase in joint pain on recent years I am still quite mobile. The biggest problem being a lack of ambition ….. I will admit to an even shorter periods of said ambition as the knees tell me enough for now, is there a diet to cure that?

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I have been reading the Wheat Belly book and the Undoctored book, both by Dr. William Davis, and he states that eating a raw potato can be a good prebiotic food. He said that cooking changes the potato nutrition and makes the starches more digestible, but a raw potato is only prebiotic fiber and water, and none of it is digested except by healthy gut bacteria.
    I am following his Super Gut 4-week program, and I have started having a raw potato , sliced thin, rinsed and with a little Himalayan sea salt for electrolytes.

12. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have had potatoes nearly every day for decades and in just about every condition but never raw, I am not about to start now! Report back if you see a substantial change!

13. Yvonne Smith

Whether it produces a substantial change remains to be seen, but it is important to include prebiotics in the diet, and I have enjoyed nibbling on a raw potato ever since i was a little girl and my mom used to give me slices of them to eat.
    I read that some people in Ireland used to cook their potatoes in the old time hearth, and cooked them so that they were cooked on the outside and still hard in the middle.

If you are eating a potato just to enjoy it, then cooking it is probably the best way to eat one (I love baked potatoes with sour cream and lots of butter and chives), but if you are simply wanting to be sure you are having a healthy gut biome, and less arthritis because of that, then eating a raw potato makes sense to me.

My last labs showed a definite improvement, and while i can’t presume it was the raw potatoes, I do believe that the total diet changes have been part of the improvement.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

What labs improved, @Yvonne Smith? Did you get inflammatory markers checked?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I you find info on a diet that helps with ambition, Don, let us know and I'll put it on my list of things to get around to. ;)

Don Alaska likes this.