Can Anyone Identify This Snake?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Am reminded of a snake story of my youth.

One afternoon my gramps and I were fishing by ourselves. I was in the stern of our home built jon boat running the motor and gramps was on the bow. I ran in close to the bank under a low hanging tree branch, knocking a huge black snake off his perch and into the boat. That's the moment all hell broke loose. Gramps, being deathly afraid of snakes, grabbed up the canoe paddle and started wildly whacking at the snake, shouting the whole time. I cut the motor and drew my bare feet up so snake wouldn't go up my pant leg. Snake was thrashing frantically, looking for a way out of this crazy place. Gramps was yelling, hitting everything but the snake, with his paddle. I was fearing for my life when gramps hit my big toe a mighty whack, breaking it. That was enough. Despite the pain in my toe, I went over the side, along with the snake. Gramps sat down, breathing hard from his workout. When we got home dad asked "Ike, why ya wet and limping"?

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That reminds me of a story, I read about an old Indian, who came upon a young brave, who was killing a black snake. He told the boy "Don't kill the snakes...they are your friends"! Later, the boy saw that the old Indian had killed some black snakes, and when he questioned him about it, the old Chief replied, "Sometimes, you can have too damned many friends"!
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I won't harm rat snakes or king snakes but I'll kill any snake I even suspect of being venomous.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm too afraid to get near enough to kill a snake! (picasso>) images-7.jpeg
    1252348534460.png

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.