Can Anyone Identify This Flower?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Nancy Hart, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They are unusual. Sometimes they won't come up for years, then all the sudden they all do. Some pop up in the middle of the yard. I'm pretty sure they grow from bulbs. My neighbor called them Tiger Irises, but that doesn't match anything close.

tigeriris.jpg

This picture taken today isn't very good, but it shows the shape of the plants. No leaves at all.

tigeriris2018b.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Those are what is called surprise lilies, or sometimes naked lilies. Early in the spring the leaves come up, and then they die down. Late in the summer, the blossom stem comes up, kind of like an amaryllis, and then you see the lily.
    if you have some near you, ask to get a few bulbs when they are done blooming but before they disappear, and then remember where you plant them, and you will see them come up in the spring and then disappear again until they bloom.

Edit : I see you said they are on your property, so no need to ask permission, just transplant some of the bulbs to where you want them to bloom.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's it! Thank you, Yvonne. I've thought about transplanting them in the past, but forgot where they were because I didn't mark them. I guess my mother planted these. I'll stake them and look for leaves in the spring.

ps. I've only seen them in red.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

In the south they are called Naked Ladies because they have no leaves. and they spread so you will be getting more and more each year.. they are lovely ..the ones we have here are pink .. never saw the reddish or those orchid colored ones.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.