Can Anyone Identify This Flower?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Nancy Hart, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

They are unusual. Sometimes they won't come up for years, then all the sudden they all do. Some pop up in the middle of the yard. I'm pretty sure they grow from bulbs. My neighbor called them Tiger Irises, but that doesn't match anything close.

tigeriris.jpg

This picture taken today isn't very good, but it shows the shape of the plants. No leaves at all.

tigeriris2018b.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those are what is called surprise lilies, or sometimes naked lilies. Early in the spring the leaves come up, and then they die down. Late in the summer, the blossom stem comes up, kind of like an amaryllis, and then you see the lily.
    if you have some near you, ask to get a few bulbs when they are done blooming but before they disappear, and then remember where you plant them, and you will see them come up in the spring and then disappear again until they bloom.

Edit : I see you said they are on your property, so no need to ask permission, just transplant some of the bulbs to where you want them to bloom.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's it! Thank you, Yvonne. I've thought about transplanting them in the past, but forgot where they were because I didn't mark them. I guess my mother planted these. I'll stake them and look for leaves in the spring.

ps. I've only seen them in red.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

In the south they are called Naked Ladies because they have no leaves. and they spread so you will be getting more and more each year.. they are lovely ..the ones we have here are pink .. never saw the reddish or those orchid colored ones.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no idea what this is we have had it for years and this year it came to flower. The flowers is about 10 inches across and the plant is about 7 feet across. Un named flower1.jpg

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its lovely - never seen the flower before

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh I've seen one of those before. I think the lady who had it called it a king sago palm. She said hers was a female and she named it Lizzy for some reason.

10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Yes Maggie I think it is a sago palm but never seen that exact flower on one.

11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    the flower get stranger every day

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Poisoning Alert– It has come to our attention that many home improvement stores are selling a houseplant that can cause serious poisoning in pets and children. The plant is called the “Sago Palm” or “Cycad”. It is also referred to as “The Oldest Known Plant”. It is used in outdoor landscaping in Southern States, but can only survive as a

[​IMG]

houseplant in the North. All of this plant, including the seeds and root ball are toxic. Signs of illness first appear about 12 hours after ingestion and include gastrointestinal sign such as vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. The toxins in the plant lead to severe liver failure with progressive weakness, jaundice, bruising and bleeding and other signs of liver failure that lead to death. It is estimated that 75-80% of animals ingesting this plant will die in spite of aggressive medical treatment. If you have one of these plants in your home you will want to be sure to keep it away from pets and children, preferably by disposing of it safely in a covered trash can or “rehome” it with someone who does not have pets or young children in the household

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sago-palm/
    Recently the home improvement stores have stocked their shelves with a plant called the “Sago Palm”. This is a decorative houseplant that you may be tempted to purchase.

If your pets ingest ANY part of this plant it will cause liver failure. Even with aggressive veterinary treatment 70% of these pets will die. We implore you to keep your household free of this plant. We are devastated when we are unable to help your pets.

Go to our website and get a look at this plant. http://www.burnthillsvethosp.com/

We hope this will help keep your pets safe.

The Best Of Care For The Best Of Friends Burnt Hills Veterinary Hospital

13. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Thanks Ruby yes I am surrounded here in poisonous plants here in the tropics.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

How about this plant? It popped up in the yard. Is it something worth saving?

Leaf (a month ago)
    upload_2023-6-30_11-7-42.png

The blossom was destroyed with the lawn mower, but it was a long white stem wrapped in a thin white sheath, like a philodendron, but more delicate. I've looked at hundreds of philodendron leaves and none match.

Berries (today)
    upload_2023-6-30_11-8-9.png

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like an Italian Arum, but I have never seen one in bloom.

Nancy Hart likes this.