Camping

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Rufus Holen, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

Just got back from a lone camping trip. Went out into the woods with myself, a tent and some food for four days.
    Was great to have some time away from everything, phones, computers, work and people.
    If you've never had a trip away from others I would thoroughly recommend it. Great for the soul.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree, and I love it. I still don't have my camp finished yet but I'll be spending some time there this summer. I doubt that I'll be able to persuade my wife to join me until some of the niceties are ready but I love being in the woods, away from the technology. In what part of the world did you take your camping trip?

3. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

In the Netherlands, in an area called Limburg, near the German border in an area called Bosland, which literally means forest land. It's about 5000 ha of forest, with some wildlife, but nothing too dangerous. Where is your camping setup?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a hundred acres of mostly wooded land in northern Maine, near the Canadian border. It's more than 200 miles north of where I live, but it's off-grid, the road leading through it is an ATV trail in the summer and a snowmobile trail in the winter. There are two five-acre potato fields that we lease out but the rest of it is forested, part of it is a cedar swamp, and another part of it includes a large beaver dam. There is lots of wildlife, including bears, deer, moose, fox, lynx, and many smaller animals. I have a few wildlife cameras that I place on trees throughout the woods, so that I can see what's there. I put a camp on it, between the two potato fields, a couple of years ago. The Amish built the camp and I am finishing the interior.

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to go camping when I was in my 20s. I was married then and we would go off for weekends to remote areas where camping was allowed. I am planning on buying some camping equipment when I'm retired.

I was in my late 50s when I spent a week in an area where I slept out in woodlands, on a clifftop, by a beach, on a trail and in a park. I enjoyed walking all day, and in the moonlight I discovered that I have good night-vision. Other people I encountered on the way were friendly towards me and I felt I had no reason to be afraid.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last month, we went to a mountain resort for an overnight stay. It was to celebrate the birthday of my niece who turned 19. Together with the family are 16 guests of my niece, all college students. It was lots of fun and we stayed awake until the wee hours. Some of the guests didn't even sleep at all. Barbecue was the main fare and we also roasted marshmallows and hotdogs for the midnight snack. It was really an enjoyable camping with numerous tents alined on the grassy area.

There is the photo taken on the morning after. IMG_2625 camping SR RESIZED.jpg

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

IMG_2477 prep boodle RESIZED.jpg May I share another picture from that birthday camping we had in Nature's Discovery Camp in Tagaytay, south of Metro Manila. Aside from the barbecue, we brought a cauldron of prawns cooked in coconut milk. It was the best seller for that dinner. Most of the guests, however, liked the pork barbecue than the broiled fish.

8. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

What a cool moment had to be celebrating birthday at a camping site!

Camping was to me a kind of weekly activity in my childhood days because my father was avid for countryside adventures, having as hobby hunting, fishing, camping and treasure hunting.

Many times he took us, the whole family with him, but as time went by, he only focused in both treasure hunting and animal hunting, saying these activities were not suitable but just for men.

This way, I never returned to camping to date, but I'm sure it will be enjoyable if I have the opportunity to do it again.