"Calling Roy Rogers Up To the Mike"

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to love listening to the programs on the radio, usually along with Mom and Grandpa Bailey. Most of the ones they listened to, I don't remember any more; but the favorite that I always waited for was "The Cisco Kid".
    I would listen for that special call "Aaayy, Cis-co" , followed by "Aaayy, Pan-cho", and then the excitement would begin.
    Our radio was one of those old wooden ones about 4 feet tall, and like you see in the antique sales nowadays.
    Sometimes, it would shock me if I touched it when it was turned on; so I was always very careful around it when it was playing.
    My dad also had the one that I mentioned in my original post; which was the smaller one that had all of the shortwave channels on it, and the little green eye that he used for tuning in the stations.
    I think that was what started my interest in shortwave radios.
    My oldest son has had a ham license for many years now, so I think the enjoyment has passed down to him, too.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

One of the fun jobs I've had over the years was a night security guard at the General Electric Radio plant in Utica, NY. It was rather creepy, as I was the only one in the whole factory. It was one of those jobs where I had to, every hour on the hour, make my rounds and clock in at certain stations.
    One of the rooms I liked was the competitors radio room. Every type of radio you could imagine was in this room. Hundreds of makes and sizes. I could have spent all night there had I had the time.
    One other room, was the developement area of the Show and Tell, story telling machines for children. Not yet on market, but was a big seller once it reached the stores.
    Sorry, if I got off subject, but I thought you might like to hear this story.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

image.jpeg Show and Tell

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting Dave. I've always thought it'd be kind of scary to be a night time security guard. Did you watch the movie Nighttime At The Museum? I think that's the name.