California Is Burning

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

QVD - 19 deaths and infections have wreaked havoc here along with horrible air from the fires. All this state needs now is a good earth quake to finish the job.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was going to ask you and Chrissy when ya’ll were going to move to the east coast of Arizona or some such.
    Between the fires, virus, riots, demonstrations and the possibility that Arizona will be some very expensive beach front property after a good quake, maybe you guys need to investigate a new place to hang out.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My SIL (wife's sister) lives in Ontario, Calif.. They aren't having a problem at all with smoke.

However, here in northern Colorado, smoke smell, wildfire ash (out of the sky) and now up to 6 inches of snow tomorrow. Then again, by this time next week, we will again be back in the mid-to-upper 80's.

4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The current wildfires laying waste to some 2million acres of Californian real estate are similar to the calamitous fires that destroyed huge swathes of my country last summer.

More than 14,000 firefighters are struggling to contain dozens of fires across the state which is in the grip of a record heatwave with forecast of further potentially dangerous windy conditions in the coming days.

California’s governor, Gavin Newsom, said on Tuesday that the state was facing an “extraordinary” challenge. He has declared a state of emergency, with complete evacuations ordered for several remote communities in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Forests have been shut off to the public due to a “monumental fire threat” that has caused firefighting resources to be “stretched to the limit”, the US Forest Service said.

The largest fire, known as the Creek Fire, has rapidly burned through more than 140,000 acres in the Sierras and was 0% contained as of Tuesday. The blaze trapped more than 200 people at the edge of a lake in Fresno county on Saturday in what firefighters called “hellish” conditions. The group, mostly campers and hikers, had to be rescued in spectacular fashion by the California national guard, which used helicopters to hoist the imperiled people to safety. About 20 people had injuries ranging from broken bones to burns.

Firefighters evacuated an additional 150 people from the blaze on Tuesday morning.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Craig Wilson

We are located about 2 miles east of the juncture of Nevada (it's Southern point), and thus quite close to California. Colorado River Basin, no mountains intervening, until about 10 miles west, on CA side, mountains rise which provide us our first glimpse of Sun illuminated landscape each morning.

Normally, our visibility is classed "unlimited", the mountains are clearly defined and beautiful, viewed from our Desert pit in between. For several weeks now, there has been little wind (unusual) and the mountains are only a blur, so much smoke has enveloped the "Tri-States Area".

Frank

Craig Wilson likes this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

A religious person might conclude that God is punishing the Godless liberals in California, but fire can't discriminate the good from the evil.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The fires are not just in California. They already all over the western United States, but California seems to have a whole lot of them, for sure.
    Fire season is something that happens every year, and some years are worse than other years.
    I have family in Idaho who are within a few miles of one of the fires in north Idaho, and a year or two ago, there was one that was just outside of the town where my sone lives , in Eastern Washington.

This map shows the fires, as of yesterday, that are in the western United States, and you can see that the whole area is covered with fires. There are fires even along the Pacific coast, which is usually too wet for very many fires.

63D5CF59-A719-4132-BCA2-0A90B59E250D.jpeg

8. Yvonne Smith

I just got a message from my daughter-in-law in Idaho, and she said that her sister, who lives in southern Oregon (near Medford ) had to evacuate and their home as well as her husband’s parent’s home, all burned in the fire, and they lost everything that they could not carry with them when they left.
    Fortunately, Laura’s dad lives in Oregon, and is safe from the fires, and her sister and family are staying there for the time being.
    Almost their whole small town (Phoenix, OR) was burned, so I don’t know if they would be able to move back again.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...son-county-ashland-talent-phoenix/5757266002/

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Dunno, I imagine Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego might have had something to offer about that subject.

Being serious though, too many times when there are tragedies, there are those who would either blame God for it or give Him the accolades for it happening.
    That said, about 17 years ago in Bonner’s Ferry, Idaho a fire broke out in the forests on top of a mountain just outside the town. It was the result of a few teenagers having a kegger on the mountain and their campfire somehow got out of control.

The mountain burned for days and everyone pretty much knew that if something major didn’t happen to put it out, there were many properties with ranches and farms not excluding the possibility of a whole town going up in smoke.
    Sunday came, we went to church and our small congregation prayed. I think everyone in every church prayed for a miracle that day because on that very same clear blue sky’s day, a torrential rainstorm came along out of nowhere and put the fires out.

Think whatever direction ya’ll wish, I know and my wife knows and a whole town knows what happened and it would be tough to convince anyone that there wasn’t some intervention going on that day.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  10. Craig Wilson

Registered

I am hearing that Oregon has called a state of emergency so they must be bad there too.

Just reading that Gov. Kate Brown invoked the Emergency Conflagration Act as wildfires have continued to spread throughout the state. She has gone on record with a revelations that the fires could potentially "be the greatest loss of human life and property due to wildfire" in Oregon's history.

The north western state has at least 35 active fires, with more than 368,029 acres burning according to the Oregon Office of Emergency Management.The fire has burned hundreds of homes, destroying a substantial amount of some communities.

Question: Australia's worst fire season on record, aka: Black Summer, last year had many throwing blame over the lack of fire hazard reduction in mostly national parks due in the main to some trying to appease the tree hugging Greens.
    Is this also the case with the US fires?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Could be.
    A couple of years ago D. Trump was pretty hard on the California governor for the state’s lack of forest clearing and fire control due to what they deem to be safe EPA standards.
    It seems they would rather take the chance of the whole shebang burning down leaving the wildlife dead or homeless than to allow people to go in and clear out the underbrush, provide fire breaks and fell the dying trees.

12. Yvonne Smith

Just like what happened in Australia, @Craig Wilson , at least some of these fires are arson. I remember reading the news about the authorities arresting people in Australia after they caught them setting fires, and the same thing is happening here, too. I have been following the Oregon scanner on Facebook, and they are reporting on fires being deliberately set along the I-5 corridor (freeway that runs all the way down the West Coast).
    This really makes me mad !
    It is not just the forests that are burning, but people losing their homes. I reported yesterday about my DIL’s sister and her family being totally burned out, and I have at least two other family members who live in one of the areas where there are fires, and I have been checking in with them to make sure that they are safe.

932BD9FF-E036-4CDF-A606-D87A9C48C68D.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Just seen reports on the news - so terrible :(

14. Craig Wilson

Registered

Sydney never looked like this during our Black Summer. This is eerie.
    [​IMG]

15. Yvonne Smith

Bobby Cole likes this.