Cable Tv, Landlines, Dish & The Www

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Denise Evans, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, I need to have this just so I can really enjoy my bigscreen. It's just a 32 inch but still, wow, this is way cool Yvonne! I have a meeting at 4 so I will have to watch the rest later, thanks so much! Denise

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I look at everything on my computer, movies tv shows and use Skype to make phone calls. When the internet goes out I panick, how long will it be out is the first question I ask. We have become so dependent on the internet.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have cellular on my ipad and pay $15 a month for data so if the internet goes out I can still be online.

Even if the power is out...I'm okay til I have to recharge the battery. It hasnt happened yet though.

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Here in the UK the cost of the landline is rising steeply though the wholesale cost by our national exchange supply company (Openreach) has been falling, the middlemen, the telecom companies make an ever increasing profit, compensating for the fall in phone services. A fortune is made in the cell phone/mobile network division and advertising is now endemic on the web. Our viewing habits are changing so rapidly its hard to predict what will happen, the majority of us seem to watch catch-up TV rather than live and movies are now often streamed hastening the demise of the DVD I guess.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks Terry, and nice to meet you:)

I didn't think of the DVDs but yes, that is bound to happen as well. I read a book (senior sleuth mysteries called Cape Refuge) recently that was about a upper-middle class family living in the burbs. One day everything just stops, electronic-wise. Supposedly an Electro-magnetic impulse incident (whatever that is) takes place and wipes out all our "electronics" so we are just left with our fancy "stuff", houses, cars that won't run, no tv, no 'puters, etc. The family is lost until the dad brings them together and they start learning to do things the old ways. They hate it for the most part, but they begin to REALLY come together with their neighbors they never even met before, as well as their own family. They work together, turning their expensive yards into vegetable gardens, haul water for everything, from the small lake in the middle of their neighborhood.

Way good book, and really had me thinking. I'm still lost without my electronics, but can't help but wonder ya know;) denise

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got rid of our landline over 8 years ago. We each have an iPhone 6 and we just didn't need the landline. One thing, that we didn't know about when getting the iPhone 6, our accessories we had for our old iPhone 4s, don't work with the new 6, SO, had to get new car charger, two new "sync and charge" cables and two new iPhone cases. We have two external batteries, one in my wife's purse and the other in our vehicle. The old 4s cable could not be used with the external batteries for the iPhone 6.

Another thing, since we have HD tv, we have to have HD program package from Comcast.

Basically, the only thing that I've seen "dwindle" is some GPS's. We have a mobile one that can be used in our vehicles or in our boat (old/1992 boat). We use to use that GPS in our vehicle, until we got our iPhones. The iPhones are much more accurate, and up-to-date, than the GPS's ever were. We use our iPhone 6 all the time for directions and those directions are perfect.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

That's why Apple owners are wealthy, getting us to "have" to buy all, new accessories. Can't say they are dumb, but I would say I wouldn't be able to sleep that well at night. Nature of the beast I guess. Good to see you Cody;)

About the GPS, I don't have an IPHONE but I have a nice Moto E. It has an app called "maps" that is supposed to work as a gps, but I haven't mastered it yet. I did get it to a point where it spoke to me, LOL! Said continue North or something like that. I could have ended up in the Arctic!! LOL:):p

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Denise
    I have a moto E and a G and if you download an app called "Navmii" you can then download maps for your area and use it offline, you don't need to use any of your data allowance, its all free as well. I have used it in several countries and its pretty good. http://navmii.com/ Maps is good but needs to constantly download so you need data on.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh Terry!! Thank you, I will check that out today!! I have wifi here so save a ton of data, but not outside the house of course, so, I can really use this!!

I'll be back, have some chores to do;) but I will be back;)

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Based on what we are seeing now, the internet will, be taking over the traditional media, i.e tv, radio, newpapers. All newspapers now have their online edition since most of their readers are turning online. TV networks are following suit with their websites being advertised for more news details. Even the survey companies are threatened with the mode of estimating the public pulse. A tv show is now using Twitter as their gauge of audience, the more tweets, the more audience.

So my prediction is that the internet will be the main media sooner or later although the traditional media is here to stay but on a smaller scale. Just like the landline phone which is still with us but the usage has been cut down to around 10% as against the 90% of the mobile phones.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Totally agree Corie,

I think your "prediction" is right on as well;) denise

12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, we know what some cable and satellite services such as Cox Communications decided to do. Yes, they decided to come up with their own high speed Internet service. So, their feeling seem to be if you can't beat them join them. Which seems to be what more and more of these companies are doing. I do have to wonder if maybe the day is coming where there will no longer be cable services or satellite services because of this. Who knows, the day that the DVD and the CD become obsolete might come first but only time will tell. The same with newspapers, yes some have folded due to the Internet, but there are some that are still in circulation. My family prefers the hard copy newspaper each day instead of going online, I guess it comes down to preference.